How was your Market, Shows or Events this weekend?

How was yours I would love to hear about it.

We had Mike the Headless chicken here. I do not do it as a crafter anymore but I do stop by as a customer. The crowd here seemed really good but the vendor quality was not good for this event. I was supper disappointed. Almost no hand crafted at all mostly MLM or direct sales people. There was a few good ones but they seem to get lost among the manufactured stuff.

I take heart the Lavender Fest is just around the corner and the vendor quality is usually really good at that one.

I don't really do craft/farmer's markets in the summer - finding an indoor venue isn't easy, and they don't do well, and I can't/don't do outside shows. But I was at the People's Fair yesterday, and not 1 soap and/or candle vendor in the entire place. I was shocked. There are usually about 2-3 soap vendors at least there, but not this year. There was some really cool stuff, but everything was so expensive I couldn't fathom spending money on anything. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I'm at an outdoor market.

Saturday was pretty average financially even though it felt slow. Today we were supposed to have rain from 10 am until 5ish pm so I did not go. It hasn't rained since about 4 am. I'm a bit ticked at having missed the day because of weather that didn't happen.:angry:

I am dreading the 90 degree forecast for next weekend, but at least we aren't supposed to be rained out.

8 hours ago, Vicky_CO said:

How was yours I would love to hear about it.

We had Mike the Headless chicken here. I do not do it as a crafter anymore but I do stop by as a customer. The crowd here seemed really good but the vendor quality was not good for this event. I was supper disappointed. Almost no hand crafted at all mostly MLM or direct sales people. There was a few good ones but they seem to get lost among the manufactured stuff.

I take heart the Lavender Fest is just around the corner and the vendor quality is usually really good at that one.

I highly HIGHLY dislike it when the organizer/operator/facilitator of a market allows solid MLM sales people (one or two who have misrepresented themselves frequently or sometimes get through.)

4 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I don't really do craft/farmer's markets in the summer - finding an indoor venue isn't easy, and they don't do well, and I can't/don't do outside shows. But I was at the People's Fair yesterday, and not 1 soap and/or candle vendor in the entire place. I was shocked. There are usually about 2-3 soap vendors at least there, but not this year. There was some really cool stuff, but everything was so expensive I couldn't fathom spending money on anything. 

Huh, that is so strange! No soap or candle people? How sad!

1 hour ago, OldGlory said:

I'm at an outdoor market.

Saturday was pretty average financially even though it felt slow. Today we were supposed to have rain from 10 am until 5ish pm so I did not go. It hasn't rained since about 4 am. I'm a bit ticked at having missed the day because of weather that didn't happen.:angry:

I am dreading the 90 degree forecast for next weekend, but at least we aren't supposed to be rained out.

90* is a hard temp to be working in.

I'm not doing any sales because I am working on MY NEW AIRSTREAM! and turning it into a mobile boutique!

• Like 3

Well I had 3 markets this week and now until the end of summer I will be doing a Wed, Sat, and Sun market weekly. They are all outdoors so I work in all kinds of weather. Pouring rain and degrees above 90 are hard so occasionally I don't go if I know ahead of time the weather is gonna be rough. I worked this weekend even thou we had a flood watch in effect. Fortunately, no rain came until after we all left on both days. Phew.... that was a close call. Today it poured as I was driving home from my Sunday market.

Anyway, I had a good week with good sales. My soaps are wiped out and I have precious few cured and ready soaps on the racks at home in stock so I have to work extra hard to make lots of soap this week. I ordered supplies that just got here on Friday so I can start tomorrow. Looks like everything came but the shea butter. Sigh.... it's always something!

iansmommaya-- congrats on the new Airstream! Sounds lovely! How nice to have portable boutique you can hit the road with!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

I'm not doing any sales because I am working on MY NEW AIRSTREAM! and turning it into a mobile boutique!

I hope you are going to share pictures of that. That sounds really cool.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

An Airstream - what a dream!

I have been wanting to do a soap, b&b, melts truck - like a food truck - but I don't live in a big enough area to support it. It would be such a great little franchise business.