Bye for now and thanks. Tips for new soapers.

TAH

I’m turning my attention and free time back to painting. I’ll probably continue to make soap until I use up some of my supplies, but after that I expect to only make soap Christmas gifts.  I wanted to thank everyone here for your generous sharing of information it is really rare to find such a group of folks who are both so knowledgeable and so willing to share their knowledge of their craft. I haven’t been able to give back since I’m so new to this, but I thought I could at least share what I learned here about making soap in the last 18 months with any newer soapers who are reading. Below is my list of tips to help newer soapers. 

The folks on this forum are mostly expert soap makers who are generous with their knowledge and experience so ask them if you aren’t sure about something. Soap Queen has lots of information and ideas too. See her videos for lessons on how to make soap.

Lavender is popular. Lavender Essential oil sticks better than most fragrance oils and can be found at nearly the same price if you look around.

Citrus is also very popular but almost all citrus FO and EO fade very quickly. Listea EO is a good way to get a citrusy scent that sticks. I found Listea very inexpensively from several suppliers. Check out Essential Depot for inexpensive but limited selection of essential oils.

Not all olive oils that you buy in the grocery store are really 100% olive oil. Check the expiration date on your olive oil especially if making Castile soap since you will need to age it for months even a year  and you don’t want the oil going rancid before the soap is fully ready to use. Some folks really like Castile soap and not everyone makes it probably because you need to cure it for so long.

Calendula petals are the only botanical I found that did not eventually turn brown, they stay a pretty yellow color.

Scents that stuck well in CP soap for me:

Energy – Brambleberry- strong and sticks like glue!

Bonsai – Brambleberry this one is really strong be careful not to use too much (like I did) 

Lavender EO

Tea Tree EO

Listea EO

Spearmint and Peppermint EO

Sea Glass – WSP light but really fresh clean scent

Perfect Pumpkin – WSP- mostly the cinnamon spice part stuck but it did stick

Lemon Verbena – Brambleberry & WSP 

Blood Orange & Goji Fragrance – WSP - really sticking well after 6 months 

Autumn Wreath FO – WSP - maybe not a great scent for soap but it sure stuck

Lilac in Bloom Fragrance Oil  - WSP- dead on lilac scent no fading so far 6 weeks

Honeysuckle Surplus FO - Brambleberry - sweet honey floral

Don’t be like me and waste a lot of money trying expensive oils you can make a perfectly good soap with just a handful of basic carrier oils and maybe a “butter”. There are a few formulas  on this forum that are basic and quite good. 

Don’t be like me and get all crazy buying a bunch of fragrances, just buy what you need for the next 2-3 projects.

Edited by TAH
  • Like 5

Painting is my daughters first love - well, actually painting and photography . She has her Masters in art education + now teaches youth that are emotionally

impaired + are from severely dysfunctional homes. This was a huge adjustment for her not to mention a culture shock. The students were "feeling the waters"

with her at the beginning - they took one look at her ) she's small + very hipster looking lol + figured they were going to "have fun with her " lol ! They now have 

an amazing relationship with her + they are all brought together by creating art :) She LOVES her job + her students ! How long have you been painting ?

Thank you so much for sharing with us - very thoughtful of you :) Best wishes to you - would love for you to post some of your art ! 

TAH -- You just did give back because, as a newbie soaper (6 batches of CP under my belt), I appreciate the tips and experience you just shared. I hope you have great love and joy in painting and enjoy your time doing that. And I second everything you said about this forum. The people here are wonderfully generous and I hope, like you, that I too can give back one day. Take care and be happy in all you do! :D

• Like 1

Moonstar -I envy what your daughter is doing with her life it sounds very fulfilling. I wish I had majored in art instead of being "practical". My avatar is one of my paintings. I plan to reopen an Etsy shop for my art that has been "on vacation" for almost a year now. I need to restock it first though. I sell my art for charity its just a side thing for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhoenixFyre said:

TAH -- You just did give back because, as a newbie soaper (6 batches of CP under my belt), I appreciate the tips and experience you just shared. I hope you have great love and joy in painting and enjoy your time doing that. And I second everything you said about this forum. The people here are wonderfully generous and I hope, like you, that I too can give back one day. Take care and be happy in all you do! :D

Its really been fun making soap.... so fun it was well addicting. I think I'll make soap every Christmas from now till forever. 

• Like 1

Painting sounds like a great way to explore your creativity. I could never paint or draw very well trying out new soap recipes, colors, etc. is my way of diving into  my creativity.

Hope you come back to post from time to time and if you can post pics of projects that would be fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TAH said:

Moonstar -I envy what your daughter is doing with her life it sounds very fulfilling. I wish I had majored in art instead of being "practical". My avatar is one of my paintings. I plan to reopen an Etsy shop for my art that has been "on vacation" for almost a year now. I need to restock it first though. I sell my art for charity its just a side thing for me. 

Let us know when you open your Etsy shop, how exciting ! Yes, her job is very rewarding - the same students that were once trying to push her away are now sad to see

the end of the school year here :( All best wishes to you ... btw your drawing of the bird ROCKS !!!!! 

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

Painting sounds like a great way to explore your creativity. I could never paint or draw very well trying out new soap recipes, colors, etc. is my way of diving into  my creativity.

Hope you come back to post from time to time and if you can post pics of projects that would be fun.

Thanks Candybee. I found soap making to be very creative much more so than I would have guessed before I tried it. I'll come back and post from time to time. 

• Like 1