Why is there no mold...

Gsmakinsoap

I bought some of those bright blue individual round molds from Bulk Apothecary (Brambleberry sells them too), but I'm unhappy with them because there is a slight taper of 2 or 3 millimeters. I want the top to be the same as the bottom because I can see that it isn't uniform and it detracts from the looks in my opinion. I could put the soap in a PVC mold to get a cylinder log, but I want to add things to the top of the soap while it is still wet. Does anybody know where I can get completely uniform round molds? I noticed that Candlescience just came out with some plastic beveled round molds, but that doesn't work because the top would end up being the bottom, and I don't want a beveled bottom. 

TIA

Georgialee

• Like 1

That was so sweet of you to look them up for me TallTayl. I guess I forgot to mention that I wanted the larger, approx. 3 inch diameter size. Those 4 cm ones are nice and look like they have straight sides, but all of the bigger ones, I can see that they are tapered. I just don't understand why they can't make the bigger size with perfectly straight sides too. The blue ones I mentioned that I bought look like they have straight sides, but the finished soaps tell a different story. Guess I'll just have to keep looking, and maybe sometime someone will come out with what I want. 

Like i said, those were *examples*. If you do the search yourself you will find those because I have them. Some of the options you are looking for are buried within listings for multiple sizes and varieties, like the one where there are tapered sides. Most of the international sellers offer 20+ types in each listing. I look. I find. I save a bundle of time and money on molds to my exact specs. 

10 hours ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

That was so sweet of you to look them up for me TallTayl. I guess I forgot to mention that I wanted the larger, approx. 3 inch diameter size. Those 4 cm ones are nice and look like they have straight sides, but all of the bigger ones, I can see that they are tapered. I just don't understand why they can't make the bigger size with perfectly straight sides too. The blue ones I mentioned that I bought look like they have straight sides, but the finished soaps tell a different story. Guess I'll just have to keep looking, and maybe sometime someone will come out with what I want. 

Thanks, Chefmom. I guess I'll wait for a sale and give that one a go. Wish I was as good at sniffing out the good deals as TallTayl. Sometimes you just have to be at the right place at the right time. I bought a nice mold at the thrift store one time that doesn't seem to be available online anywhere.

9 hours ago, Chefmom said:

I have Crafter's Choice white silicone molds in the oval large, oval guest and rectangle bar shape and they are all straight sided and nice and heavy.  They are pricey, but I'm pretty sure this mold would be straight sided. It says that it is 3-inch wide.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/round-basic-silicone-mold.aspx

That one looks like the mold I found in the Target dollar spot a while back. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yep. I really like those Freshware molds, they're a little on the light side, but they're really nice especially for the price. There was another listing on that wish web site for the same mold at $3. https://www.wish.com/m/c/5617324f1809d50e01516e04

Now these aren't straight sided, but I really like these little cups for my overages. I will admit that they are a bit of a pain, because they're loose, BUT that is also the major benefit to them. https://www.amazon.com/Baking-Fun-Microwave-Refrigerator-Dishwasher/dp/B01EVJANL6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1478511935&sr=8-9&keywords=100+handmade+square+silicone

At some point in my life, I'll need a puck mold. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 6:50 PM, Gsmakinsoap said:

I bought some of those bright blue individual round molds from Bulk Apothecary (Brambleberry sells them too), but I'm unhappy with them because there is a slight taper of 2 or 3 millimeters. I want the top to be the same as the bottom because I can see that it isn't uniform and it detracts from the looks in my opinion. I could put the soap in a PVC mold to get a cylinder log, but I want to add things to the top of the soap while it is still wet. Does anybody know where I can get completely uniform round molds? I noticed that Candlescience just came out with some plastic beveled round molds, but that doesn't work because the top would end up being the bottom, and I don't want a beveled bottom. 

TIA

Georgialee

I mean... ya know, ONE way to get around the taper is to use little perfectly fitting tubes and stick them down into the cups. I mean you're going to lose a little product with that insert in there but you can do it.  I'd find a thin walled pvc pipe that fit the exact dimensions at the bottom ring of the cup and then you could cut the pipe to length and fill all the surrouding area with a wax. Just a thort!