Help! Wick Pins and Cooling

Hi all. I am relatively new to candle making (about 5 months in) and I'm having a couple problems. They seem to be pretty common but I haven't been able to find good solutions yet. I am making Votives with metal molds and wick pins. I use candle mold release. My wax is Ecosoy PB with, typically, a 3% scent load added at 185 degrees. I heat it in a double boiler in my kitchen and I pour at 140 degrees. My two questions;

I'm having a relatively new problem with cracking. I pour at 140 degrees. In the past I haven't had a huge problem with cracking but now I get cracking around the tops. I know this happens when the wax cools too fast but the thermostat in my apartment reads 72 degrees. Currently I place the votives into the oven (off and unheated) to help regulate and slow the cooling. Which helps some. Is there a better way to do this? I was thinking about reducing my workspace or setting up the molds in a small box so they help keep each other warm. It sounds silly when I say it but it's driving me crazy.

Second problem is that I am just starting out with wick pins. In the past I have just placed the wicks and used a clothespin to keep them straight during cooling. The idea of a wick pin that I can just pop out had always appealed to me so I bought a couple to use, but I must be doing it all wrong. They are impossible to get out of the candle! I use a little mold release on them but that didn't help. Tapping them on the counter, paired with my cracking issue, results in me having to remelt the entire thing because of the damage. I've tried removing them while the votive was still slightly warm and cannot get them out of the warm mold. At this point I've run out of things to try and have gone back to just using the wick/clothespin process.

My container candles and larger pillars don't have these problems. These votives will be the end of me! Thanks for any help you can give.

I found for votives and tea lights I much prefer self centering wicks. Or, I've gotten pretty good and just sticking the wick in and centering it myself after I pour. I bought about a dozen wick pins for votives and I ended up hating them. They are always off center and crooked plus they just don't pull out of the candle easy. For me, self centering wicks was the ticket.

Also, Ecosoya pillar blend has excellent scent throw but I just didn't like it as a wax in general. I could never wick a pillar with it to save my life but I did have success making votives. Again, I prefer using centering wicks for making votives.

Edited by Candybee

I never could use wick pins with votives.  I just wick the votive and center it myself when it just starts to set up around the edges.  this way, the wax in the mold is too cool to melt the priming on the wick and they stay straight.  Also, the wax on the bottom of the mold will be just set up enough to adhere the wick tab at the bottom..  I use PB also.  I am getting cracking around the edges too and it drives me nuts.  I am finding  that you really have to fill them until they bulge up at the meniscus.  

Wick pins and soy are not a great mix but it can be done. I use to pop my votive out of the mold slightly heat the bottom of the pin and turn over and tap the top on a hard surface. They usually pop right off. Really self centering wicks are easier.  

Hope I am not jinxing myself, but I use metal molds and pins with PB. I just Spray liberally with the silicone mold release, pour and cool. Nothing fancy about any of it :-/

Some PB batches are more brittle than others and more prone to cracking. I can tell by how dry the flakes are in the box/bag. 

Self centering wicks sound much easier :D

A repour sounds like a good idea. But its been so long since I used that wax I don't know if you will have repour lines. I always poured my votives to the very brim so full they looked like the wax was going to spill over. You can develop a knack for pouring that way. Just takes a bit of practice.