4627 users please please help!

If anyone has stayed with this wax and has tamed the flickering can you please share how? I have been trying to perfect this for not quite 6 months. I am using the 8 ounce  country colonial jar from peak ... I have tried straight 4627, mixed it with 40% 4625  and have also tried mixing with 40% 4786 and have even tried straight 4630. I have tried lx 14,16,18,20, 22, 24, 26, 28 then switched to double wick 16 double wick 18 some combos I get a good HT some not very much some are under wicked I'm guessing even though double wicked cause they drown them selves out about 3-4 times into my 4 hour test burn sessiins but ALL of them FLICKER and don't have a smooth steady consistent flame i have also tried htp 83, 104, 105,1212.... ANYONE have ANY other suggestions to get this flickering to go away short of just giving up all together?? So stinking frustrated!!

• 1 month later...

Hey there!

I've been running a lot of tests for my Fall line; I've been using straight 4786, and a blend of 4786/4627.

I do have to say that side by side I have virtually no flickering with my straight 4786. The 50/50 blend with 4786/4627 however, is dancing around quite a bit. I don't mind the dancing really, but I do love the steadyness of the straight 4786. It's funny because I think about all of those new flameless candles with the realistic dancing and flickering bulbs, people love it because that's what they expect real candles to do! But I understand how as a chandlers we may prefer the steady flame thinking that a dancing one might get out of control, but most of the time, they don't. 

Maybe you're wondering why I blend if the 4786 is so great on its own; I've added the 4627 to my 4786 because it slightly improves my glass adhesion, it makes the wax consistency super creamy, its fragrance load is a bit higher, and I have a whole case of it in the basement that I need to use!

Anyway, I made a candle today with 80/20 blend (less of 4627). I'll let you know if it dances as much when I test it.

• Like 2

Light,

I always have dancing flames with 4627. What I have found with using zinc wicks, the dancing is not as bad. Imho, zincs work the best in that wax. They have a cooler burn but have a great scent throw and less dancing. The flip side is that they will mushroom a lot. I just break the mushroom off and light back up. Easy Peesy! How is everything coming along?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry I didn't respond jfear and candle guy...my life took a hard personal detour so I am kinda starting over. Just now starting to retest. I am in a different place in life now I guess because I don't mind the dancing g Flame so much anymore and I never thought about the flameless electronic candles and your absolutely right!! Why would they mimic a less than ideal part of a candle right?!? Lol you guys are the best... thank you for all the help!

On 11/14/2016 at 11:02 PM, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

Sorry I didn't respond jfear and candle guy...my life took a hard personal detour so I am kinda starting over. Just now starting to retest. I am in a different place in life now I guess because I don't mind the dancing g Flame so much anymore and I never thought about the flameless electronic candles and your absolutely right!! Why would they mimic a less than ideal part of a candle right?!? Lol you guys are the best... thank you for all the help!

I use 4627 exclusivley, and can honestly say that I think your dancing flame issue may be more from drafts than the wax. You may not even think you have drafts in the home, but even the slightest bit of air current around a flame will make it dance a bit. Ive gone through a few different wax types from soy, to palm, back to soy, to 4627 etc etc. My flame always had a flicker because of the air flow throughout my house. Warm air always rises, and there is always an air current/flow regardless of time of year. I would maybe grab a bunch of solid objects and build a "wall" around your candle, maybe block some air flow and see if your flickering goes down any.

• Like 1