Roll on perfume

KB12

I've been researching how to make roll on perfume oil, and I'm a little confused. I am wanting to use FCO or jojoba oil, maybe a mixture of both, for my carrier oil. I also want to use fragrance oil and not EO. What percentage of carrier oil and what percentage of FO should I use? I've read various opinions on this and would love some clarification. Also, is there a cure time? I've read 1 week to 1 month. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by KB12

It depends on the fragrance; it should give you a percentage amount safe for skin as opposed to candles. You obviously want a skin safe FO.

It can vary, but I load mine up by about 25%! LOL I know, it's probably way too much...

No cure time necessary, just add to the bottle and shake shake shake :02:

You really need the IFRA certificate and essential oil for each fragrance to know what usage level is safe. Essentially you are trapping fragrance directly on the skin. Category 4 applies to perfumes.

Some eo, like litsea cubeba, will cause ugly skin rashes if used too high. And too high in that case is above. 0.7%. That calculates to 0.105g in an entire roller ball perfume applicator. So, a drop in th bottle. 

I just realized I am using wayyyyy too much FO....I'm gonna have to scale back...lol

I stay away from straight EO's in perfume due to exactly what Tall said...some people can even be prone to having miscarriages, seizures, photosensitivity, etc. Scary stuff!

I stick with just skin safe FO's.

9 hours ago, Becky said:

I just realized I am using wayyyyy too much FO....I'm gonna have to scale back...lol

I stay away from straight EO's in perfume due to exactly what Tall said...some people can even be prone to having miscarriages, seizures, photosensitivity, etc. Scary stuff!

I stick with just skin safe FO's.

Not necessarily. :) if your IFRA cert lists a higher rate, then you should be AOK. 

Also, you can use fixatives to help a scent linger longer. This one from creating perfume is one example: http://www.creatingperfume.com/GlucamP-20humectant.aspx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Becky said:

Thanks, TallTayl!!!!

What an awesome site!!!

If you like perfume, ThePerfumersApprentice.com is a must-read too. Those two places are where I find many of my single note aroma chemicals along with several accords (blends).  

Also so check out AuraCacia.com and EdenBotanicals.com

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/eden-botanicals-blog/fixatives-and-their-function-in-natural-perfumery/

https://www.auracacia.com/auracacia/aclearn/ar_perfumes.html

And a primer for creating essential oil blends https://www.achs.edu/nature-perfume-making-essential-oils

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the above information. I was pouring candles and I fell absolutely in love with Nature's Garden Rosewood & Musk fragrance. On their site, it says that the maximum use for perfume is 5% but on the IFRA page, for category 4, it says 30%. Do you know why this would be so drastically different? Is curing really not necessary? 

I make loads of roll on perfumes. If you are using a single fragrance oil they smell great right out of the gate. When you are blending, that's when you want to cure for a day or so to let the different scents marry and develop. When I find a blend I like, I usually make a larger batch of it, so the oils have mixed together over time and there is no waiting involved. I use fractionated coconut oil, jojoba and vitamin E. Also, the supplier should have the % listed for perfume and I'd go with that. With a leave on product like roll on, always err on the side of caution. Hope that helps!

Thank you! For this particular FO I would like to start with 10%. Would I take 10% of the amount of carrier oil that I use to get how much fragrance oil to use? In the scenario that you posted above, it would be 10% of 7ml. Or, would I take 10% of the size of the container? In this case, 10% of 10ml? When I do candles I take 8% of the amount of wax I use. I have a container that can hold 8 oz of wax, so I take 8% of 8 oz to find out how much FO to add. Since this is going directly onto skin, I want to make sure that my math is correct! 

Edited by KB12