Candle Molds

e911

Sorry if this has been asked already but I didn't find an answer directly.  So taking a peek at Peak's soap molds, I'm curious how well these hold up for candle making.  I want to make something different other than just break away chunks..  http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Soap-Molds.aspx  Is there any considerations to be had when using soap molds?  

Thanks everyone.

That's the part I wasn't sure of if silicone molds would work or not.  Are there any special things I should look for in silicone molds or will any do?  I'm limited to break away's because I wasn't sure about other molds. :(  Now that I have my website finally built (minus product pictures) I was looking for something "different" than just the breakaways.

I had to go look I did not realize no one had talked about other shapes for melt in a long time. I love using silicone mold for melts. My main problem was designing packaging for them. That is struggle because people will not buy them unless they can see them.

Guest OldGlory

I like using clear pretzel type bags for molded melts. Length will depend on how many you want to put in the bag. The melts will stack up nicely.

Van Yulay is amazing. There are several different designers on that site. I have a dozen silicone cupcake molds that are fluted. I place them on a cookie sheet and then place the cookie sheet on top of my scale (tared out). Color and fragrance my votive wax and pour an ounce into each one. Once the wax hardens, they pop out and they look like little suns. You can package them in cello (careful to use bags that will not cause your melts to lose their fragrance) tie them with ribbon and a tag or leave them loose and let customers choose their own. Intricate patterns can be done but color can render a pattern almost invisible. Its best to try them out and to use sizes that fit most melt pots. Customers expect a lot out of these little guys, so make sure they fragrance for at least two days of constant use. Flex molds are ok but silicone are best. Hard molds don't last long and are a real pain in the release area. I have bing cherries, different sized strawberries, hearts and fruit slices. I've made some myself of maple leaves, acorns and little pumpkins. Fun.

• Like 1

Vicky,

Looking at vanyulay.com, just want to make sure I understand their listing correctly.  When it says wax weight .2, that's per cavity right?  Sorry for the dumb question but I just want to make sure i understand their listing correctly.  Love some of the molds they have!

Thank you.  Sadly, I got a wee bit carried away on her site.  30 items, 700$ later... I think I may have to ease into this whole molds thing :)

But on the plus side, i FINALLY finished my website (minus product pictures :( )!!   That was such a chore, but so far, I love the management/back end!

• Like 1

The soap molds you were looking at don't work that great with wax. The wax would have to be cooled down to under 140 F in order to not damage the mold. Also, the plastic type makes the wax stick to it and impossible to release. Ask me how I know! You could try a mold release and spray it on before you fill with wax but I can't guarantee that would work. I never tried it but you would need some kind of agent that releases the wax. Those molds work great with M&P soap. The soaps just pop out. Wax, not so much.

Honestly, I would go with the mold suggestions Vicky and Chuck mentioned because they are specifically made for wax. Also, if you are looking for another mold supplier C&S has some silicone molds and a huge variety of embed molds like fruits, veggies, nuts, all kinds of shapes and holiday themed shapes.