Premier Wicks

grama

Has anyone tried using the premier wicks with paraffin?  I have always used cd's but had several sizes for when I "play" with soy and wondering how they would work in paraffin. Didn't want to waste good wax & oils if they don't work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2016 at 1:04 PM, grama said:

Has anyone tried using the premier wicks with paraffin?  I have always used cd's but had several sizes for when I "play" with soy and wondering how they would work in paraffin. Didn't want to waste good wax & oils if they don't work. 

Same thing with me -- have a bunch of Premier wicks just sitting here and realized I have never tried them out in my paraffin. Tried them in palm once and didn't like it, so they've been sitting in the back of my wick box unloved. For some reason I have remained stubbornly loyal to HTP wicks but have never been able to make a paraffin candle with HTPs without getting soot. So I've been branching out and testing other wicks lately, Premiers being one of them. I'll let you know how the testing goes. :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhoenixFyre said:

Same thing with me -- have a bunch of Premier wicks just sitting here and realized I have never tried them out in my paraffin. Tried them in palm once and didn't like it, so they've been sitting in the back of my wick box unloved. For some reason I have remained stubbornly loyal to HTP wicks but have never been able to make a paraffin candle with HTPs without getting soot. So I've been branching out and testing other wicks lately, Premiers being one of them. I'll let you know how the testing goes. :D

That is so weird how everybody gets different results!  I used to use RRDs in my palm wax candles and tried Premier and they are now my wick of choice for palm wax. :) 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

One thing is for sure - the Premiers I have used in all sorts of combinations of waxes, from straight 464 to straight pillar paraffin - mine rarely mushroom. If there is a mushroom it's very small.

I think all paraffin throws some black soot, but I did not notice an increase in black soot with Premier wicks in paraffin instead of zincs.

And for me, they are perfect in 464.

3 hours ago, pcbrook said:

That is so weird how everybody gets different results!  I used to use RRDs in my palm wax candles and tried Premier and they are now my wick of choice for palm wax. :) 

I know! It's so true. I am always yelling at my wicks, "So-and-so said you work for them, so why don't you work for me?!" Some days I just think all wicks hate me, lol.

3 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I think all paraffin throws some black soot, but I did not notice an increase in black soot with Premier wicks in paraffin instead of zincs.

I'm sure this is true. It just makes my butt twitch whenever I see or hear people put paraffin down because of soot. I feel like it's a personal mission to defend paraffin by making the best candles I can with the least amount of soot left on the jar, lol. So far the Premiers are burning nicely. Can't wait to see how they burn the rest of the way down.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

Yes, please let us know how the Premiers work with the paraffin.  I would be interested in your results!  What wax are you testing?

Just started testing a mix of 4633 and 4786. I've worked with them both separately and liked them but they each had a con that I was hoping to eliminate by mixing them together. I will definitely let you all know how the testing goes. Testing a Premier 755 and a Premier 760 against an HTP 83 in 11 oz tumblers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Didn't you have problems with your HTP wicks discoloring your wax when/after burning? Mine did badly. Same with Eco and others.

The only wicks that dont discolor the tops of my wax are zinc and Premier (when properly sized of course)