Large Scale Labeling

Hey everyone,

Would love to hear how some of you are making the labeling process faster. It's pretty time consuming putting a label on top, bottom and side of every candle. And since removing any of those isn't an option currently I'm trying to find faster ways to apply them than by hand.

I know there are impressive machines that do this but those are likely out of our price range at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Labels are time consuming.  Assuming one is a price label, you can get the perforated labels for the bottom caution that you also print your price on, or just print the price on the caution label and don't worry about being able to tear it off.  

I pre-label with the caution and then after the candles set all I do is put on my scent label.  It saves time during production, but I spend some time when I buy the jars.

Hang tags could save a little time as you don't have to be so accurate in placement, just tie them around the top of the jar.  Here again I put the scent & price on same

tag.  I'm in a store so each item needs a price tag.

I think what helps me is to do one scent at a time. That way I can print out labels for the same scent and slap those on the jars.

I print out the caution labels ahead of time for all the candles. Then when I start to label several jars of the same scent I flip them all upside down, put the caution label on, the flip them right side up again and stick on the name label. Now I also doing lid labels so I do those last.

I think as long as you have some sort of system or order of labeling you get faster over time.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. We're kind of at a point where we are doing 300+ per day several days per week this time per year and the labeling time is killing me....especially since I'm paying workers to do it.

I've seen manual label applicators to take labels from rolls and put on sides of containers. That seems to be the only way to speed up the process to me but was hoping someone had thought of some other solution. Getting all of my labels printed on rolls is rather costly, but maybe likely worth.

Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

I think I would call some big companies that print rolls of labels and find out the difference between labels bought for hand application and labels bought for machine application. Once you find out the difference you can follow that to the machine applicators.

Here's the name of a printer that might know:

Wright Global Graphic Solutions, Unity Warehouse, 1100 Unity St., Thomasville, NC 27360

I recently came upon a great process for my labels. Previously i used Avery online or the Avery app on my tablet or Mac computer.  I would print them as i needed them for my product.  But now my local library has access to a vinyl printer and they have clear and white adhesive.  I can print 70 labels in full color for $2.00.  So now i take my labels created in avery import them to Adobe Illustrator set them up for Printing and then print in volume.  I printed 8feet work of labels for $20.00. It takes about 1 hour to print everything I put three labels on each jar so this has saved a considerable amount of time.