Tarts and clamshells no scent on second burn

Candle guy

Is it normal for tarts and clamshells to have hardly any scent at all during the second use? Overall I have had fantastic feedback from various testers. Some testers are leaving their warmers burn all day long and overnight. I am being told that my melts will remain strong for as long as they are warming them. The second use I am hearing the scent is all but diminished. They all have said that they are impressed and mine are much better than Walmart and in competition with Yankee lol. I am just a rookie at these so I have plenty of questions myself before I even consider selling. So again is this normal?

Hey Glory good to hear from you as always. The melts were burning on scentsy warmers and also other bulb warmers. I bought a Glade warmer and the strength of mine will burn off around 5 or 6 hours but it will still cover that room just not the whole first floor once first warmed. I also bought a 25 watt bulb warmer last night to use.

One of my testers is going to use a plug in tonight and let me know how that goes. My fragrance percentage I am currently using is 8%. I am using igi4625 and igi4627.

Are you sure the scent is gone?  Sometime we just don't smell it after a while but someone coming in fresh will smell it.  Some scents do burn off more quickly but I don't think I've had any that I couldn't smell day 2 and mine burn

9-10 hrs straight during day using bulb warmers.   I think I'm immune to most scents anymore so I tend to use others as testers once I know it's safe.  The 40 w bulbs definitely burn it off more quickly.

• Like 1

Kandlekrazy,

The scent will still be there but not nearly as strong as the first 5 hours or so when I put on a Glade warmer. A tester said she put one of my shamrock mojito tarts on her tea light warmer and said it was throwing really strong for 9 hours and then she stopped warming it. She lit it up a couple days later and the only scent she had was from standing directly over top of it. She said it was strong though at 9 hours but once off the heat and returned to heat, no good throw. I have tested some of my other tarts on the Glade and the strong throw dies out around 5 or 6 hours.

Guest OldGlory

Tea light warmers can burn VERY hot. I tested tea light warmers, bulb warmers and hot plate warmers - tea lights burn the hottest and offer the strongest fragrance in a very short period of time. I believe they burn off nearly all of the FO quickly. Opposite end of the spectrum in the bulb warmer (and the bulbs are all different!)- they take longer to heat up and burn the FO off slower, so not as strong. These are strictly my findings.

Glory,

That is good to know. Maybe I am making the tarts correctly but perhaps the tea light warmer is as you said burning the fragrance out quickly. I will be testing the bulb and Glade once again with the same clamshells myself to determine the hour differences

I agree with OG, same results in my testing.  Distance between the heating source and the bowl factors in as well.  I'm not a fan of tealight warmers, but I'm selling them until I exhaust my stock.  The small tea cup or coffee cup warmers if I don't keep my wick trimmed really short they burn off scent quickly and sometimes even give it a burnt smell.    I stopped selling and using hot plate warmers simply because they scare me; the liability issue also. 

Light bulbs same thing, distance between your bowl and light bulb.  I also find the mosaic with the thin clear glass bowls heat up faster so therefore put off more scent

than the heavy ceramic bowls but seem to be far enough from the bulb that the scent lasts for days.  I'm sure wax and fo quality play into it as well.  Testing is a real pain, but we all have to do it to find what works best for our wax/fo/melter combo.

I agree with old glory

I used to use tea light warmers and they smell the house up fast and strong but don't last more than a day- and this was with brand names and my own .....when I switched to a ceramic warmer I thought my melts sucked because you couldn't smell as strongly but feedback from everyone else that came into my own and used my melts was that they were wonderful and lasted for days - same in the bulb warmers

To this day if I want super fast scent strong I use a tea light burner - you can sometimes even see vapors coming off the bowl they burn so hot