Need help with custom scent

blue

A local business has asked me to create a custom scent (soy candle) for their store.  They have asked for a scent similar to Fresh Fern or Dandelion & Clover.  Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to smell them myself.  I think they're probably Paddywax.  I'm hoping someone is familiar with these scents and could offer me a recommendation on similar fragrance oils?  Thanks.

Guest OldGlory

This type of request makes me want to pull out my hair. I've done it more times than I'd like to admit and it always makes me crazy - because I don't pick up (my ability to smell certain notes) scents the way others do. Neither do you. And it's impossible to get someone to understand that. So, matching a scent is impossible.

I have learned with small clients that there is a limit to my willingness to experiment for them at my own expense. You can spend a few hundred $$ and get nothing out of it if they don't like your choices. Use your own judgement on how you will handle it, and if, for example,  you are willing to get 5 samples for them but no more, tell them that up front. They need to know you are not going to spend without limits while they keep you on a string. You could ask them to pay for the research!

I have not smelled either of those fragrances - but they are going to fall into the green/spa/floral category. A bamboo, green or white tea, aloe, or something like that would be in the range of what you want. I have tried White Tea from Candle Science, and it's good in both 464 and 6006. Badedas from AH/RE is in the range. A really good MacIntosh apple like Aztec sells is a great mixer for a green type of scent. Good luck!

That's great advice of which I myself have also learned the hard way to follow. Nothing wrong with trying to make a new customer happy. But if they want you to make something you don't normally carry in your line you need to make it clear to them they will be paying for the research and development up front before you even make one candle. I would write out a contract including time lines and costs along with your terms so you have everything in writing. If they don't agree to it... well there's your answer.

• Like 1

That's great advice of which I myself have also learned the hard way to follow. Nothing wrong with trying to make a new customer happy. But if they want you to make something you don't normally carry in your line you need to make it clear to them they will be paying for the research and development up front before you even make one candle. I would write out a contract including time lines and costs along with your terms so you have everything in writing. If they don't agree to it... well there's your answer.

Count me in on the sad group that has spent hundreds (probably more like thousands actually if i were being truly honest) of $ trying to meet some pie in the sky customer scent request. Not only do you hold the bag for the up front R&D, you end up holding the aging raw materials, often purchased at an inflated small purchase quantity cost. This ties up cash flow on fragrance you may not ever be able to move. Disposal of those scents costs too. All of that erodes any profit potential if the customer does not order enough to make it work out. Business is business. Cash is king.

I pull my own hair out when people want dupes of some other company's scents. It's almost as if they want me to make their favorites, only cheaper . If they want that particular scent, they need to spend the $$ and buy that scent from the original 'artist'. Come to me for my original work . I have learned to recommend things i already have, or blend new with essences i already stock only. took many years to learn this as i tend to be a pleaser (and learn slow :D )

• Like 2

I do exactly what Shannon does, right down to telling a customer to buy another company's product because I don't sell dupes, only my blends.  I also tried years ago to please everyone and wasted thousands on FO's that never sold and the customer base wasn't buying.  I'm sure you have something in your inventory you could steer them to, or mix for them.  Learn from our mistakes and be wary of the time and money you may waste trying to please them. 

• Like 2