Coconut wax not holding scent

Hello everyone!

I am brand new to this board AND candle making. I was hoping I could get some answers from some knowledgeable people :)

I am making candles for my family and friends for holiday gifts this year. Specifically massage oil candles. I am using mostly coconut wax with a bit of soy (haven't gotten a good ratio down yet, would love some advice!) and adding skin safe fragrance and essential oils. I am using wooden wicks in 2oz and 6oz tins. 

I keep running into the same problem, though. Despite the fact that my wax temp is below the flashpoint of all of the oils, my scent will not hold!! I have tried so many times and have vaporized a lot of oil. I am not sure what else to try to keep the scent! 

I have also seen a lot of different opinions on how much oil to use per pound of wax. I like a pretty strong scent personally but I would love to hear what you guys do!

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by megboys

Coconut wax? Or coconut oil?

For skin application the scent options will be in a much narrower range than just candles. Be sure to read the IFRA certificate for each fragrance you plan to use on someone's skin, especially since it will essentially be sealed against the skin with wax and oil. Massage candles are a specialty product. Not sure how may insurers even cover them these days.

So... What waxes specifically? What scent & manufacturer? Good quality fragrance should not just vaporize off, unless you are heating and holding that hot wax at a very, very high temp. Typical manufacturing temps should not be a problem for quality fragrances.

If you are using them all as massage candles you cannot use more than 1% or so of skin safe oils.  Make sure you check the manufacturers specs. for exactly how much is skin safe.  You definitely need insurance if you are giving or selling these and they can be very dangerous if someone has a reaction.  I know my insurance won't insure them, besides my never even considering selling them. 

You have to remember that a massage candle will NEVER be highly scented like a regular candle and they aren't supposed to be, as you don't burn them for long periods of time.

If you are using them all as massage candles you cannot use more than 1% or so of skin safe oils.

This is not true. You can use up to the maximum safe by IFRA standards for any particular fragrance when using them in body care but they must be at least 2.5% safe to be considered safe at 1%. In most base applications there is a maximum of 1% because of labeling. Any additive being added at 1% or less can go at the end of a label. It is necessary for the person making these to check the specs with the supplier for every single oil and refer to the IFRA sheet for each to determine how much can actually be used. Most fragrances would be safe to use within the range of a normal candle for body care.

I absolutely agree about insurance however!