Blending Oils

cebanks924

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on blending oils. It seemed simple to me at first but then you start doing it and there's a lot of different techniques! Do you just mix the oils together right before adding to the wax, or mix them together and let them sit a few hours or a few days before using it in wax? I wonder if letting them sit like that would even make a difference?  I just make tarts and honestly the best blends I've made are just single layers of each separate fragrance that combine when melted. But this way is impractical when combining more than 2 scents and is much more time consuming. Any opinions?

Guest OldGlory

This may just be another thing I've over-thought, lol, but I preblend to find the mixture I want, and I preblend to have it already mixed, convenience. I allow my blends to mingle for 10-14 days average while in the testing phase so that I know how the finished product is going to smell.

At first I do the qtip blend, with half a qtip dipped in the fragrance (that's one fuzzy end of the qtip), and I use one qtip per part of fragrance oil that I want in the blend. I put those in a small bottle and let them sit for a week or more. Then I adjust if needed. If I'm happy with the blend, I dump out the qtips,  I measure out grams of the oil, shake it very well, then let that sit for 10-14 days. Since I sell wholesale, the blend has to be right to present to my client the first time. Nothing random in my procedure.

But I like your idea of just pouring layers of fragrance. The possibilities are endless!