Wicking taper candle frame?

What is the trick to starting the continuous wick on a candle dipping frame like this?

My mind is not working to figure out how to start it so that i end up with 5 pairs of joined candles. The rest is super easy.... But I always have to cut one pair apart. You tube has failed me :D

post-7851-0-49859600-1435089283_thumb.jp

It's been forever since I have dipped my tapers from the frame like that, but I think I just either tied a slip-knot at one end and then just wound it up-over-down-up-over-down etc until there were the 6 or 8 to dip at a time. Then they were all connected, some at the bottom, some at the top. 

Tomorrow when I have time, let me find my frame to refresh my memory. 

• Like 1

The secret is to start at the bottom, on the left side of one of "knobs" at the bottom, tie on firmly (I just knot the wick 3 or 4 times) then go up, over, down, under, up, over, down, under, etc. & tie off at the bottom, once allthe "knobs" at the top have been crossed. 

(It really is easy, but easier to do than to say.)

• Like 2

The secret is to start at the bottom, on the left side of one of "knobs" at the bottom, tie on firmly (I just knot the wick 3 or 4 times) then go up, over, down, under, up, over, down, under, etc. & tie off at the bottom, once allthe "knobs" at the top have been crossed. 

(It really is easy, but easier to do than to say.)

What she said. :D

• Like 1

That makes total sense. Ha! After i wicked and dipped 7 frames! am a little slow on the uptake tonight :D

Guessing the double ringer is the same? Start on the inside bottom and work around?

Am loving these so far. I need a slightly deeper melter, but am figuring it out. So much nicer than fighting with the urethan molds!

Thank you both!!!!!

That makes total sense. Ha! After i wicked and dipped 7 frames! am a little slow on the uptake tonight :D

Guessing the double ringer is the same? Start on the inside bottom and work around?

Am loving these so far. I need a slightly deeper melter, but am figuring it out. So much nicer than fighting with the urethan molds!

Thank you both!!!!!

Plus when you hand dip you can make them as thick or thin as you want, and even do designs in them (cut/carve) or braid them. My daughter did the braided one, and I did the flattened curved pair. So easy to do when they are still warm. 

post-200-0-36799600-1435150269_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-64600100-1435150270_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have been wanting to make tapers but can't convince my husband to let me buy any supplies to do so :( he say's they won't sell.

Depends on how you market them. They sell okay for me at shows, and I do sell a lot around Halloween because I make "bleeding" tapers. 

I dye the wick red, and then dip to make it white white. When it's burning the red of the wick "bleeds" down the white candle, and people seem to love that. 

• Like 1

Depends on how you market them. They sell okay for me at shows, and I do sell a lot around Halloween because I make "bleeding" tapers. 

I dye the wick red, and then dip to make it white white. When it's burning the red of the wick "bleeds" down the white candle, and people seem to love that.

JCandle, i would buy a set of each of those in a quick second! Gorgeous, beautiful and genius.

I make beeswax, and have wondered about the bleeding idea. I wick to not drip, so making them bleed right is a challenge. Just color the wick? It does not bleed into wax as you dip? Nifty!

B, JC is completely right. It is all market driven. I have worked hard to cultivate a specialized market for colored beeswax tapers. Took a while to find the right fit, but it pays off. Molded traditional tapers don't sell well for me. There needs to be something different about them.

• Like 1

I forget you work with beeswax. I'm not sure the bleeding wicks would work with beeswax. Only on my bleeding tapers do I wick to drip, and really not that much, just a few drips here and there. 

Also, the wick is still wet with the oil based colorant when lit, so they crackle a little. It's an awesome effect. 

Oh and the first couple of dips it does bleed into the wax slightly, so I do my first 3-5 dips in clear wax, then after those are set a bit, I dip them into the pigmented wax so it doesn't bleed before I'm ready. Also, for the first few dips I dip quicker than I normally would (which is why I dip up to 5 layers before the white), so it doesn't color the wax too much. 

• Like 1

I think underwicking a bit will make a few creepy drips without ruining the whole candle.

Thinking bloody pillars would be nifty too!

Priming the wick in a small container separate from the main dip tank would work. Heck, i'd even paint it on if i had to! It really only needs to be colored for a portion of the taper. Crackling, now that's cool.

Thank You again everyone. The bottom start trick worked! I made a couple hundred tapers, mini tapers and celebration candles today!

Next up: bayberry. Might as well get going on the Holiday Season while the melters are raging hot. I look forward to just picking and packing those lovelies instead of molding day and night. Maybe i will have a chance to really enjoy the season this year :D

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi! Where is your candle dipping frame from? Can it adjust its size to create different taper candle sizes?

Candlewic used to sell them.  Long discontinued though. I would have bought another few sets of each size. 

they adjust up to 16” or so.