Favorite Paraffin

Beckemmons,

Thanks! Do you always need to do a repour? Excuse my ignorance, but I've read that once a wax has fragrance added to it, you should not reheart it. How do you do repours? What type of wicks do you use? How do you think it compares to 4630?

That's how a candle works. You light a wick to provide enough heat to melt the wax and release the fragrance into the surrounding air. When pouring a candle into a container, the wax shrinks as it cools and sometimes causes a dip around the wick which can cause a small cavity from the wick pulling away. Heating the left over wax about ten degrees hotter and covering the top, fills in any holes and levels the top around the wick. The old J waxes (J-50, J-223) were the first blended paraffins that everyone used for container candles. I'm old school and prefer the J waxes, especially the 223 for a great cold and hot throw. The down side is that they tend to smoke and soot the jars if not properly wicked. Zinc wicks work the best IMHO. You need to test for yourself and continue to research by reading this board and others. HTH

Steve

I used to use the 4627, but found that it is a touch difficult to wick in larger jars.  I found they are great for votives, using HTP wicks, and are not too bad in the smaller tins as well, again with HTP wicks.

Now I use it to blend with other waxes such as 4630.  I don't get the other waxes above that are mentioned but I'm led to believe the above mentioned waxes are much better than what we can get here in Australia