Pouring Temp

WaxLovr

I'm current using a blend of 75% Rustic Escentuals Parasoy blend for tarts and pillars and 25% IGI 4630. Before you freak out about using a preblended wax in my mix, consider that most IGI are also preblended. Anyway, I have noticed the Rustic blend is popular among wax makers but it light to me. The 4630 helps but it's still not as strong as I would like. I'm wondering if pour temperature makes a difference. I normally hear my wax to around 175, let it cool to 150, add FO at 10% and stir for a couple minutes and pour into molds around 120. Is there anything else I can do to get a stronger throw?

I've used KY's parasoy blend and I added my FO at a higher temp than you do. I would add at 175-180 and pour at 150, if I remember right. I know I added higher than 150 because by the time I stirred for 2 minutes the wax would have cooled off to about 150 which was cool enough for me to pour into clam shells. 

Belinda do you think it matters what temperature you pour from your pot into your mold actually matters? 120, 140, 150, how does the wax know when it's being poured? I kind of thought the temp of the wax and the temp when FO is added would be the biggest factors. What do you think?

If your wax isn't hot enough then your FO won't mix well with it. At least that's been my experience. And your wax can be too hot and burn some of the FO off as well. I really think adding Fo at 150 is too cool. I don't think the pour temp would be a big factor if at all. When I pour into clam shells, I pour around 150-155 so it won't melt the plastic. If I pour into molds,I pour hotter because it doesn't hurt the mold. I would try heating the wax to 180 and add FO at that temp, stir for 2 minutes and then pour and let them cure for a few days since there's soy in the mix and see how that does.

HTH

Edited by Belinda

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what temp you pour at.  The only reason you need to worry about it is if what you're pouring into is plastic.   What matters is heating it enough for the FO to mix.  I use an all soy blend and heat it to 185 and then add the FO.  I stir for a little bit (like 10-20 seconds) and then stir again right before I pour.  I wait a week before I test them.

• Like 1