finding oils & butters

chappy6107

I have a local shop that sells a good majority of what I see in alot of soap & lip balm recipes.  What I am looking for otherwise at least so far is Shae butter & cocoa butter.  Is there some suppliers everyone recommends for inexpensive pricing for these?  Are these items I could find in my local grocery store?  I assume that these items are sometimes sold with fragrance already in them and I dont want that. 

I prefer to buy locally as to save on shipping, but that may not be feasible

Depends where you are at. Sometimes buying locally isn't really a bargain. Sometimes it's cheaper with shipping to buy elsewhere. 

I like Soapers Choice, WSP and MMS for my oils, however, most of the time WSP is cheaper for me than MMS even though MMS is only 1 state away and WSP is all the way on the other side of the country. 

My preferences for the majority of my buttler and oils are Soapers Choice, Soap Making Resource, and Essential Depot. Usually in that order. Sometimes it just depends on which supplier I am ordering from. If I need just one more item I usually pick it up from the supplier I happen to be shopping at.

If I am ordering a lot of bulk oils and butters at once then Soapers Choice is the best buy hands down for me and many soapers.

I forgot to mention ED. I love them too. I got 3 bricks of cocoa butter about 3-4 years ago, they were having a sale, I think it was 3lbs for $5 - something like that, and man oh man did that stuff smell good!!! Just like hershey's chocolate! It also soaped great, I loved it. 

I need to get more from them soon, since I do add it into my lotions. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I will start checking the shipping from all mentioned.  Although I think I might be getting ready to order the silicone red mold from ED after reading lots of good stuff about it on here.  So maybe It would be cheaper to get some supplies while ordering the mold.

Thanks everyone.  I will start checking the shipping from all mentioned.  Although I think I might be getting ready to order the silicone red mold from ED after reading lots of good stuff about it on here.  So maybe It would be cheaper to get some supplies while ordering the mold.

If you get the red ones, before the first use wash them in HOT sudsy water (I used dawn dish detergent) a couple of times. I did this with mine and never got any bleeding. I've heard that people who skipped this step have some red color transfer onto their white soaps. 

I now have 4 red ones and 2 white ones and I LOVE them. Only 1 basket though, but my hub made a lightweight box for the others. 

I got the red one and just rinsed it out with a little warm soapy water. No dye problems whatever. ED's silicone molds are really great. Save the box it comes in to use as your mold holder when you pour your soap into the silicone mold. It will hold up the sides of the mold really nice.

Also, I buy all my lye at ED. They have some of the best prices and I love their packaging. I never worry about the lye being shipped to me when it comes from them.

Re their cocoa butter, it really is lovely chocolate smelling cocoa butter. You don't get any of the scent once you soap it but I just love handling it and smelling it before I soap it. I usually got mine free at ED by buying items with free cocoa butter that came with the items. They do a lot of stuff like that.

Their EOs are also top notch and if you click on the info link to each EO you can find out a lot about the oil, what it smells like, its origin, what it blends with, how its used, how it was made, etc. Some of the best EO info I have found on the net.

• Like 1

The very first time I ever used an EO in soap, it was one I got from them. Ylang Ylang. I'm not much into florals, but man-o-man that one is nice. I used it at 2% with some Kaolin clay and now almost a year later, and the 1 bar I have left still smells amazingly strong. 

Love it. 

Good info on the washing the mold.  Also Candybee, was it you that ordered a custom wood box for your ED mold?  If so, how is it holding up? 

I will def. check the rest of their supplies out.

Yes I ordered a custom mold to fit the ED silicone mold. I know I posted the maker in a thread somewhere and its probably the one you are thinking about. I just love the wood mold and it works perfect.