Question about. .additives to clear M&p

8-GRAN-ONES

It can make it cloudy. How cloudy depends on the oil itself and the coloring the oil itself has. It's been years since I've done that though, so it's hard to remember if it always did it or not. Sorry. More experienced people will be by to help more soon, I'm sure. 

I pretty much left alone the clear. Its hard to add without getting cloudy like JC said. I know I sometimes added olive oil and liquid glycerin and it stayed pretty clear but I don't remember if it stayed crystal clear. I only used clear to make my honey soap. I was going for a golden honey color with added colorants rather than a clear soap.

Candybee. .that is really what I am doing. .

Like the soap I shared the other day..

I am using clear soap an just adding a slight amount of color so that is stays transparent..

I just wanted to add a bit of something so it would be more moisterizing..

The m&p I used was not the diamond clear..

You can add oils to it to help make it more moisturizing but the transparency will be more affected by some and not others. I found olive oil and castor oil really make my soap more moisturizing. When added to clear M&P it stayed pretty much transparent.

Don't add more that 1-3 tsp of olive oil per lb as it will make the soap soft and rubbery or even greasy on the outside. With olive oil a little goes a long way. My absolute fav additive is castor oil. Again, you don't need much, 1-3 tsp per lb.

You can also add honey but it will take on some of the honey color but still stay fairly transparent.

If you want to make a really pretty visual effect with clear M&P try melting together 1 part opaque (white) base with 2 parts clear for an opalescent  or pearl like appearance. Add a drop or two of liquid color and you can have the prettiest opal or pearl colored soap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think anything that you add to clear MP makes it a teeny bit more cloudy, but that is OK w/me for the tradeoffs.  Ie; I usually add CandyBee's suggestion of a little bit of OO and CO to make it a little more moisturizing and harder. Colors are even trickier w/r/t clouding, I like making mica blends as per these suggestions from Debbie Chiapas, I think they are more clear and I can control my colors better.  I hardly ever use "straight" micas with mp anymore, just make up more of these, and then I have them for later:

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/melt-and-pour-soap/inspirational-glassy-color-formulas/