This is the best place for help

I want to say hi to everyone and thank you all you help so far, even though you didn't even know you were providing help. I have been browsing for several days and decided that this is a great place to get a wealth of information. I just started making candles prior to Christmas 2014. I tend to dive right in the deep end of the pool, so I ordered several types of wax, dozens of wicks, dozens of FO's, and a mix of colors, liquid, blocks, and chips. Until I found this site, I was becoming completely overwhelmed, not realizing the variables that go into candle making.

Thanks to some threads that I recently read, I am going to back off. I will try the wickless testing (fantastic idea), without FO, and get to know all the wicks that I have.  I have 4630, 6006, and CB135 advanced. I also have palm wax that I purchased for fun, just to see how it turned out but I really don't like how it burns. I also have CB Xcel and I hate it. It is so lumpy when it cools so I have been mixing with 50/50 with my 4630. Seems to work much better. I have a variety of wicks to try... LX, ECO, HTP, CD, RRD, cotton core.

Any suggestions on which wax I should work with first? And should I work with just one fragrance or start without any FO. I am thinking that I can test quicker if I do not add any FO since on this site is the first I heard about cure time.

Up till now I could never find anywhere that would tell me a starting point. It was like candle making tips were hush hush. I imagine with some people it is a proprietary thing, but I could never find ANY suggestions like try this wick with that wax... until now, so Thank you in advance for all the help I am sure I will receive in the very near future.  

Also, any suggestions on good books?

And one last note, right now I only want to do container candles. I might have jumped in the deep end, but at least I didn't do it from the high dive.

Thanks in advance,

Patti

Welcome to Craft Server Patti.

The best advice I can give for starting out is to decide what kind of candles you want to make. Since you already know you want to make container candles then the next step is to determine the type of wax, soy, paraffin, parasoy, palm, beeswax. It looks like you are trying out a variety and you may find that more confusing then just sticking with one.

Once you pick out a wax stick with it until you learn everything you can about it.

I often see new candlemakers switching from one wax to another, then the next week switching again, then again, etc. Then asking why they can't make a decent candle?

Each wax has its pros and cons so the only way you can learn to make a great candle is to keep working with your chosen wax until you have mastered it.

Also, once you find you are familiar with one wax, trying out a new wax will actually be easier to learn than doing it the other way.

Good luck to you! When you get to the point you have questions re your candle application it will also be easier for us to help answer questions with more specific details rather than a very in general question.

Welcome- I can't help you with parifen and the only parasoy I have used is clarus

Soy I pretty much have tried them all- I use 415 now as it was what I was looking for in a candle but it take me a very long time to get it to look pretty!

135 and advanced are good waxes but in my experience not the greatest throwers - as far as lumpy in texture you will need to play with your pour temps- it should set nice and smooth

Wicks.... So many to chose and its all trial and error - I suggest once you pick a wax your going to get to know to read on this forum the different types of wicks people use and try them all for yourself - what works for one does not work for another

After a lot of advice from people on here about my 415 looking like the swamp thing I finally decided to do the test burn with different wicks and NO FO- boring yes but crucial I learned

You need to know how it's going to behave without other elements added to it then when you decide on 1 or 2 add your frahrance and see if it still does well- then your dye if you chose to color

All of the soy i have used I like the CD and CDN wicks....many other like HTP-Eco-LX and premier so trying them all is your best bet

Wickit.net has a wick guide to start off with sizes for different sized containers

Good luck and let us know how your coming along

Guest OldGlory

Hi Patti!

I want to add something - there are people who love every kind of wax. Some people love 6006, some 464, etc. If you can determine what it is about a wax that you like and/or dislike, you have a starting point. One wax isn't wrong while another one is right. There are pros and cons for each type and it's a very personal decision.

Since wicking is really tricky, I would suggest pouring your candle without a wick, then poke a narrow hole in your wax and insert your wick. If that one is the wrong size, just pull it out, let the candle firm up, poke another hole and try another wick.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice. It really is appreciated. I just have 3 basic questions to get me started.

1. What temp should I be cooling my candles after I pour them? I live in PA and it is really cold right now. My work area is in my basement, sweater and slipper temperature. I have a hot/cold cooler that I decided to use so my candles do not cool too quickly. I plug it in and warm it up while preparing my candles. When they are poured I put them in the cooler, unplug it, and keep it closed all night. When it is completely warmed up it will be around 90 degrees F. Is that too warm? Not sure if there is a point that a candle can cool TOO slow. The cooler stays warm for quite a long time as long as I do not open it.
  2. What exactly should I be looking for when burning the candles? I have always read that it should reach the sides after 1 hour per inch in diameter, 3 inch diameter = 3 hours to reach sides. But just yesterday I read here that if my first burn reaches the sides in that 3 hours, my jar will be too hot by the time it is half gone. (Most of my candles so far have taken 4-5 hours (3 inch dia.) to reach the sides. If I size up with the wick, the flame is too high. But I think that is where my "no FO, no color" will help me adjust.) Just curious to know what I should be looking for.
  3. I think I know this one but want to confirm. If I have 2 containers the exact same diameter, but one is 3 inched tall and the other is 5 inches tall, I can use the exact same wick as long as the wax, color, and FO are the same? Basically height does not matter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patti

I started with a votive kit from Cajun Candles. It was J-50 paraffin, 12 molds with wick pins wicks and your choice of fragrances and colors. It was really exciting to make a product that worked on the first attempt. Popped them in a votive holder and was proud as a new dad. Next came jelly jars and then years of research, work and creativity. I guess the point of this post is to start out small and learn your craft from the ground up. Paraffin helps you to understand the general mechanics of a candle system and is helpful for venturing into soy or parasoy waxes. Personally, pure soy wasn't worth the hair pulling but parasoy was my answered prayer. There are so many ways you can jump but the first thing is to locate a good and dependable distributor (preferably close by)that will give you immediate help when needed. Welcome to the forum. This used to be a pretty lively place for discussion, argument, name calling and aha moments.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the help. I am definitely not starting with soy, just need to decide if I want to start with my 4630 or 6006. Guess I will see which way the flame blows this weekend and stick with that for lots of testing.

I think the closest distributor to me is about 3 hours. I am from the Pittsburgh area and there are a couple places closer to Philadelphia, I think Candlewic is one. My son lives in NYC and we usually drive to see him a couple times a year. Already planning on making it may stop when we do.

Thanks,

Patti

If you are within driving distance to Candlewic then Candles and Supplies in Quakertown is only 30 minute drive from there. Those are the 2 candle suppliers I go to when I drive. But for me its an 8 hr drive round trip. So I only go about 1-2 times a year.  Saves a ton in shipping costs so its worth the day trip it takes me to go.

Because you were the last one to post at the time I captured the picture and no other topic before/after was posted is how it is there. It's on the main page. I did a bigger screen shot so you can see it. 

When you look again, it may be my name - if this is the last topic posted to... 

Let me show you - I'm terrible at explanations - 

post-200-0-23508100-1423002281_thumb.png

• Like 1