Looking to switch

Hi everyone  so i am getting ready to test some spring fragrances and I am thinking of switching from the glass container to the tins, i love the simple look of them! to those of you who use them what is your opinion on them? I know i have to do alot of testing to get it right i am thinking of using ECO wicks . what do you think?

Guest OldGlory

I love tins and my clients do too. They are especially good if you are going to ship your candles because they won't break. Dent yes, but you can still burn the candle in a dented tin. The only client I have right now has been buying candles in tins for 10 years. They have changed jar styles, asked for a different wax, but the tins with soy wax have remained the same and have been steady sellers. If their customers are happy, MY customers are happy :)

I'm new at candle making, but I already can tell you I LOVE THE TINS! I did buy some jars, but the simple elegence of the tin, with lids, along with the fact that you cannot really see any imperfections, is the reason I love them.  i did want to use jars to see how my candles would come out, and I like that they look beautiful with color, but after I use my 4 remaining jars I plan on buying more tins and just using those.  I just wish I could find a 10 or 11 oz tin, because I don't want to go to the bigger size 16 oz. tin.  Also, I am horrified at the thought of a candle that I made using glass would break while burning, while I don't have to worry about that with the tins.  I am only making candles for me, my family, and friends.

On the Eco wicks: I got eco 12 wicks with my starter kit from Candle Science, and I got no hot scent using the 464 soy.  I noticed on Candles Science's site that they don't even sell those wicks anymore, and maybe this is why.  Candles and supplies suggested the CD 12 wicks for the 464 and the hassle-free wax, so I used those.  I havent burned any with the CD 12 yet, as they are still curing, but I will post back here with the results when I do.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to sell jars moreso than tins, but I prefer the tins. I guess it depends on the market. Almost every candle that I make for my friends and family are in tins. I started out using ECO wicks and I do like them. I also like CDs. I have seen Old Glory recommend Premieres with 464, so I have some of those on the way too. Testing is just neverending!

I'm new at candle making, but I already can tell you I LOVE THE TINS! I did buy some jars, but the simple elegence of the tin, with lids, along with the fact that you cannot really see any imperfections, is the reason I love them.  i did want to use jars to see how my candles would come out, and I like that they look beautiful with color, but after I use my 4 remaining jars I plan on buying more tins and just using those.  I just wish I could find a 10 or 11 oz tin, because I don't want to go to the bigger size 16 oz. tin.  Also, I am horrified at the thought of a candle that I made using glass would break while burning, while I don't have to worry about that with the tins.  I am only making candles for me, my family, and friends.

On the Eco wicks: I got eco 12 wicks with my starter kit from Candle Science, and I got no hot scent using the 464 soy.  I noticed on Candles Science's site that they don't even sell those wicks anymore, and maybe this is why.  Candles and supplies suggested the CD 12 wicks for the 464 and the hassle-free wax, so I used those.  I havent burned any with the CD 12 yet, as they are still curing, but I will post back here with the results when I do.

haha me too sojourner! I love tins because you can hide some imperfections from the sides :P

As for the wicks, I am testing premier 767 and 790 since Old Glory recommends them, unfortunately I used them in my 4oz tins and they're just too big because they were meant for 8oz tins... Doh! Luckily I do have some 8oz tins but waiting on them to finish curing to see how they perform, I did some more research and read that people liked the ECO 4 and CD 7 and 6 for 4oz

According to my family who don't really bs me said that the HT was strong after about a week of curing but I couldn't smell it cuz my nose was broken :( . I think sleeping in the same room where the candles were curing did it lol. Nag Champa and Vanilla Hazelnut are STRONG! lol

You know I never tried the tins. I see a lot of them at shows I do and they look nice. I guess its because I use palm wax and I prefer to use glass containers so you can see the beautiful crystal patterns. Also, the wax glows as it burns which would not show up in tins. I do like the idea of a travel tin candle so I can see why they would be popular.

Edited by Candybee