How do I make candles that have a matte look to them

I am just starting out and have spent the last couple of days reading and finding out about all of these different type of waxes that are used along with wicks that.. that make me realize how this is truly an art form. It's a bit overwhelming to say the least but I'd very much like my candles to turn out like these. I did read on their site that they use refined mineral wax but can they be recreated using a cheaper wax since im a total newb:pBright+Canndles.jpg

Guest OldGlory

If you click on the picture it enlarges it. Look at the rim and you can see that it's glass.

They kind of made a mess of the tops - wonder why they would do that for a photo shoot?

Colors are pretty though!

Guest OldGlory

By the way, 500 grams is roughly 18 oz and 600 grams is a bit over 21 oz. My guess is that the 500 grams is the weight of the wax and the glass, and that 600 grams is the weight of the wax, glass, and container - for each candle.

Would it be possible to mix parasoy wax and another wax to produce a less pastel color? is that possible or would that make the wax unusable?

Or how about adding a darker color? Man, I'm sorry if i'm making you shake your head with my newb questions lol

Paraffin is easier to color than soy and gives you more 'brilliant' colors than pastel, so you could add more paraffin than soy but since I don't' work with soy at all, that is the extent of my knowledge on coloring soy. 

I know a lot of people don't color their soy or parasoy candles. 

If/when I ever try playing around with soy, I am going to go colorless... 

Guest OldGlory

My soy candles are not pastels, lol. Look in the old style candle gallery for 8 oz tin with Premier wick. You just have to use a lot of dye.

I am trying to figure out why they would dye the wicks. Any thoughts?

Edited by OldGlory

I don't know if they dyed the wicks, looks like they might have just dipped the wicks in the colored wax, or poured the wax over the wick and they got colored that way, then trimmed them after (because if you look at the center of the wick, it's white - a dyed wick would stain throughout - I dye my wicks when I dip white tapers for a "bleeding drip" effect) 

But, that being said, if they are dyed, it's probably to make them look uniform to the candle. That's the only thing I can figure out. 

You're right about the tops OG. They are a mess. Could have at least heat gunned them to smooth them out before taking pics. I see bubbles and gouges and bits of wax on the containers.

I think I agree with JC on the wax. Looks more like a parasoy blend to me. I did parasoy candles for years before I switched to palm. You can get really rich and brilliant colors with a parasoy blend and they have that creamy opague look. I also think they dipped the wicks or poured wax over the wicks then cut them. Mine were always getting poured wax on them and look the same.

The containers look like a hard plastic to me and not glass. Hard to tell for sure since the photo is out of focus. But I am not seeing glass.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks everyone for your help, it is very much appreciated!:)

I did a bit more research and found a vid of the cofounders talking about how they started and one of them mentioned how they were the only luxury candle in the market at the time using black glass with colored wax. The bit of info is around the 3 min mark if you'd like to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM17p8IWTVM

Ok, I am new to candle making also, but I made my very first jar candles the other day, using ONE Redigg-Glo orange color chip to 1 lb. 464 soy.  I have the picture in the gallery - I still am trying to figure out how to post a pic in this comment section.  Anyway, I read a lot about how soy gives pastel color, and I only wanted that for this particular scent anyway (Nag Champa), but I was still pleasantly surprised about how much color it gave and I love it. So, I would think had I added 2 color chips it would be darker, more vibrant.  Like Old Glory said - just add more color chip.

Edited by Sojourner

I still am trying to figure out how to post a pic in this comment section. 

Hope this helps - 

Go to the button down by the Post button that says "More Reply Options" and then you can upload a pic. It will have a buttons that will look like this - (but will have the buttons there - one that says Choose file (use this to choose your pic from your computer), one that says Clear Selection(clears it if you make a mistake) and one that says Attach this file - click this to attach the file to your post and it will post when you post) 

Attach Files

You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 20MB)

Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)

Or if you use the advanced uploader - it will look like this (Just one button that says choose file - this will automatically attach the file and will appear when you post it. If you make a mistake there is a way to delete it that you will see once it's attached) 

Attach Files

Max. single file size: 20MB

Trouble uploading? Try our basic uploader

Thank you Chappy!! My first glass candles & first time using color, and I love how the color came out.  They look better in person, as there is a bit of a shadow in the pic, but no bubbles, no holes, smooth tops, no frosting or wet spots - I think I just go lucky this first go, lol. 

Thank you CandyBee - I soooo hope they burn nice and throw off scent!! They smell great cold!  Nag Champa & Reddig-Glo color chips from Candle Science, the glass jars from Dollar Tree, but its thick glass, and used CD 12 wicks from candlesandsupplies.

Guest OldGlory

If you look in the old style candle gallery for the post "8 oz tin with Premier wicks" you'll see a berry/purple color in soy. There are 2 drops of color in that candle. In my spiced apple candle for this client, I use 3 drops of color per candle.

When I make parasoy candles (for the same client) using 6006 I get a glossier finish than these candle exhibit. Could be a different parasoy than what I've used. I really like that matte finish too.