Worth going to soy?

Hi all!  It's me again.... on the topic of 4627 8-)

So I've done all the testing I can think of with 4627 and the only combination I can find that works for me is the HTP single wick with 4627.  Anything else and it either mushrooms too much or the wick drowns out.  Having said this, I don't find the throw is great with a single wick.  I feel the larger the wick the less the scent throw; I guess because it burns the scent off maybe.

Soooooo..... From everything I've read noone has successfully double wicked 4627 in a 3.5" jar.  At least with no consistency (half burn all the way and half stop half way through).

This brings me to my next quest.  If it's 4627 that is hard to wick; and therefore the reason that it doesn't complete a burn; is there another wax that is consistent in it's burning when double wicked... like soy maybe?  I say soy because I am spoilt with options in Australia for soy; where as paraffin is only 4627 and 4630....

So.... is it 4627 that is the problem and would it be worth moving to soy.... with the obvious point that soy arguably doesn't throw as well.?

I double wick with 464. You may want to just get some soy wax and run some tests to see if the switch is worth it for you. I really like working with 464, but there were several times I heavily considered dumping it. I don't find soy super easy to work with, but that's just me.

Try combining the 4627 with the 4630 50/50 and see if that work's! :) Have you ever worked with soy? If not it's a whole different ball game than paraffin. I have worked with both  and have been testing an all paraffin blend for almost a year and finally have found the blend I like. I hope you find what work's for you soon! :) 

Guest OldGlory

I love soy, started with soy, and find that every wax has it's pros and cons. It's just a matter of learning how to work with a new wax.

Thanks everyone! Its really nice of everyone to jump in and give advice and their experiences.

I think we are going to try one more time with the paraffin blend, but wick up from the CDN 3 / HTP 41. After talking with the local candle store who recommend two CDN 10's to 16's, and talking with someone else who is recommending two CDN 7 for 3.5 inch; I think we were heavily under wicking. If this fails I'll give a soy blend a go, or maybe the 6006a.

Does anyone else think 2 x CDN 10 to 16 is heavily and dangerously over wicking? Its not a tough fragrance!

I thint the 10 to 16 would be to big. I am working with 4627 right now and trying to double or triple wick 10 Oz apothecary jars. I have tried two lx 10 but they drown out, now I'm testing two cd 7's and trying to triple wick with zinc wicks...I have tested more just don't have my notes in front of me this morning lol

Edited by beckemmons

I have a rather dumb question for those who use paraffing:  I know it comes in slabs - how do you cut it?? I was thinking of trying the 6006.

About the double wicking:  again, when I was at Candles and supplies, the lady there had a really nice double-wicked jar candle on the counter that she made, and I asked her about it.  She said she used 2 CD 10 wicks.  The jar looked to be 4" opening.  I am not an expert, and I don't think I ever want to double wick, but just passing along a bit info.

Guest OldGlory

Pillar paraffins are hard and have to be cut into blocks for melting using a hammer and a chisel (or something similar). 6006 is a container wax and can be cut with a dinner knife. It can be a little harder or softer depending on the temperature at which it is stored, but it can still be cut easily.

Thank you again, Old Glory!!  I used up all the 464, and made 4 more candles today with the hassle-free wax, using the 4 glass containers I have left & the remaining scents.  Hopefully I will get good hot scent with ALL of my candles. I'm not going to buy anymore scents until then. 

Have you ever tried the 6006? if so, what are the cons?