Wax Crumbles

Karyn

Not sure about soy, but with paraffin, what I do is pour on a sheet of wax paper (housed in a cookie sheet) and as it setting up I take a sturdy plastic fork and just start scraping. And continue to scrape until it hardens and is in - well, crumbles. 

I'm sure if the soy is hard enough the technique would be the same. I use a pillar or votive wax or a mix for my wax crumbles... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do something similar with soy. I pour about 1/2" of wax into a shallow baking dish. With soy you have to wait for it to be fairly cool yet still warm enough to be a little pliable to work with. I score the wax back and forth with a knife and pull out pieces of the wax and crumble in my hands. Actually I make a combo of chunks and crumbles so if you want smaller crumbles pour shallower say 1/4" of wax.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Karyn,

The wax crumble making starts @ 4:20...but you need to watch the whole thing....great video on another great item you can make and offer for sale. :) Karyn, I had wondered the same thing for years. People have described how to do it ....but it is so hard to wrap your brain around it when you don't have a visual. THEN this last Spring I came across this video....this lady has several videos that are just wonderful! I bought a baking pan and the spackling knife and did mine EXACTLY how she did hers.....viola....PERFECT crumbles.....i let them totally cool and throughout cooling STILL turned them and shook the pan back and forth...even though she said as soon as they stop sticking, they are done. I could not believe how easy it was. :)  I used 100% paraffin waxes - 4725 pillar/4794 votive @ 50/50 each and if someone who uses the soy wax and does this could please guide Karyn the rest of the way ....can you make these using 100% soy wax or do you add paraffin in order to make the crumbles?  I sure hope this helps everyone else who has wondered how to do the crumbles. ENJOY! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Karyn,

The wax crumble making starts @ 4:20...but you need to watch the whole thing....great video on another great item you can make and offer for sale. :) Karyn, I had wondered the same thing for years. People have described how to do it ....but it is so hard to wrap your brain around it when you don't have a visual. THEN this last Spring I came across this video....this lady has several videos that are just wonderful! I bought a baking pan and the spackling knife and did mine EXACTLY how she did hers.....viola....PERFECT crumbles.....i let them totally cool and throughout cooling STILL turned them and shook the pan back and forth...even though she said as soon as they stop sticking, they are done. I could not believe how easy it was. :)  I used 100% paraffin waxes - 4725 pillar/4794 votive @ 50/50 each and if someone who uses the soy wax and does this could please guide Karyn the rest of the way ....can you make these using 100% soy wax or do you add paraffin in order to make the crumbles?  I sure hope this helps everyone else who has wondered how to do the crumbles. ENJOY! :)

Gracious! I have goofed again.....I use 4625 pillar and 4794 votive. There is no such animal as 4725 pillar. Sorry guys! Sheew!!

haha, I assumed you meant 4625 (it's what I use as well) 

Hee hee.....I'm getting senile in my old age.....that's my excuse and I am standing by it...hee hee...Gosh I am sorry....I don't do this type of thing on purpose....please everyone excuse me. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have another method:  melt & prepare my wax in a 2lb pour pot, set it in a pan (or sink) of cold water, take a knife or mayo type spreader and stir & scrap the sides of the pot & chopping as the wax cools.   When it gets to the consistency of cottage cheese,(If you were making marble pillars this is where you'd stop & pour) I then pour onto a baking sheet and chop it some more...no need to be gentle.    

ETA:  I use paraffin not soy

Edited by Pam W
  • Like 1