Does a home candle maker hobby only need insurance?

I make candles as a hobby.  In the past I thought I may open a business someday, but have decided to remain hobby only.  I do give my candles as gifts to friends and family.  The reason I decided against going pro is that of course I would do everything right to set up my business, insurance, register, ect...but still worry about someone doing something stupid with my candles.  My candles are as good or better than any I have seen for sale both in stores and craft fairs as I have been at this a few years now and have done extensive testing.  I only give out candles I know are well made and have warning stickers on them.  So, do I need insurance anyway?  I was told a while back that I did not need it unless I was actually going to sell, which I am not.  I just want to be sure.  I really don't want to have to pay for insurance on top of an already expensive hobby.  

Guest OldGlory

That is a decision you will have to make. Nobody can force you to protect yourself.

Even a well made candle can be mishandled and catch a house on fire. I think back to the person who bought a hot cup of coffee at McDonald's, spilled it, then sued (and won). It's no different for a candle, except that a candle being used is actually already on fire, lol.

I gather what you are saying then is that I was misinformed and that anyone that makes a candle for a gift may be sued if the candle is involved in a fire regardless of the reason.  If this is really true, then I may just never give another candle to anyone ever again.  That solves the problem!   I wonder if there is any kind of insurance policy that covers hobbies rather than a real candle business.  I'm talking about giving away 10 - 20 a year, not selling hundreds or thousands a year.

I'm talking about giving away 10 - 20 a year, not selling hundreds or thousands a year.

It only takes one candle once to be burned wrong. Can you really predict whether one of these 10-20 candles you give will or will not be that one? 

As OG said, though. It's a personal choice in what you feel comfortable with. 

To put it in perspective, anything you do/make/own that can cause damage to someone or someone else's property is ultimately your liability.

an example is someone comes over to your home.  They slip/trip on carpet, rugs, stairs, door entry way, etc.  They can sue you (and win) because it happened on your property.  same goes for anything you gift away whether or not you made it or bought it.  It is a scary world. 

That being said, anything I gave away I would let the person know how you burn the candles and results you get.  Let them know that longer burn times may generate different results and could be hazardous and either way it needs to be supervised.

Thank you Vicki.  That makes a lot more sense to me than taking out a policy as if I am a business, which I am not.  I do have HO insurance, and I will be looking into that.  I do tell the people I give candles to to read the warning label, follow those instructions, and never leave a candle burning unattended.  I also harp continuously about trimming the wicks before each and every burn.  Maybe from now on I will just give them melts.

And to take it another step further.....business or hobby and someone gets a hold of your candle and it causes damage you have to have records on file of every batch you make to cover your butt- if it gets reported

There is a thread on here about the hobby lobby recall- that company could be in a load of trouble if everything is not documented on every single thing, lot number, batch number etc to trace back to

I am re-evaluating how I do things - I have recently started records but I don't think they are anything like they should be