wax blends

A lot can depend on which waxes you choose to blend.

When I used to make my own parasoy blend the benefits were less frosting typical to many soys, better glass adhesion reducing the dredded 'wet spots' typical of paraffin, a stronger HC (hot/cold) throw, faster cure times, and easier and brighter color dyeing. Other benefits were somewhat seasonal; my wax blend was less prone to melting in the summer heat which helped with outdoor shows and shipping.

Others may have a different experience.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help, what blends did you use, I have IGI 6006, its a parasoy wax, do you think I should blend it with another wax? have you ever heard of blending bees wax, for a better scent throw?

You wouldn't really add beeswax for scent throw. It's a good additive to make your wax harder, but you want to use it at a very low % in a container candle as it does get very hot - and it's not really for containers except as an additive. You could try adding a paraffin only blend for scent throw, but if your wax isn't throwing very well, it might be your wicking that is the problem, and not the wax itself. 

I'm sure others will come in and help as well... 

Guest OldGlory

I think you should try it and see what YOU think. I would also try a few other blends (I mean different percentages of 6006 and 464) and compare them side by side. And, don't forget that soy really needs two weeks to cure.

6006 is already a parasoy blend. If you blend it with 464 you are just adding more soy. Have you used it alone? Before blending waxes you should be familiar with each wax and its characteristics.

If you have already used 6006 and find you are not satisfied and want to use 464 as your soy wax to blend why don't you try a paraffin wax instead of a parasoy.

Personally I would try a paraffin wax something like one of the Astorlite J waxes like J50 or J223 or maybe some of the IGI waxes like Comfort Blend 4627 or Harmony Blend 4630. Depending on what you are aiming for I would start there. Do you want more of a soy blend or more of a paraffin blend? If you want a higher soy content I would start out blending in some paraffin in 5-25% increments until you have the blend you like. If you want more of a paraffin blend do the opposite.

If you are not sure what you want in a parasoy blend try reading more about each wax from the suppliers or manufacturers website. For example, CS, Peaks, C&S, and other suppliers have a lot of great info on choosing a wax for your candle application. Don't forget to look up a wax manufacturers website and read about their wax too.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

I like way the paraffin tarts look in color, but when I use 100% parrifin , they look sunken in the middle, same with the parasoy, I mix the parasoy with ecosoya pb and get a greasy tart, what fo do yall suggest? thanks

I like way the paraffin tarts look in color, but when I use 100% parrifin , they look sunken in the middle, same with the parasoy, I mix the parasoy with ecosoya pb and get a greasy tart, what fo do yall suggest? thanks

If they are sinking, and it's a container wax (unless it's something hard like 4786), sounds like you are probably pouring too hot. Let the wax cool a bit more before pouring and see if that helps with the sinking also. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Thanks , the write stuff, I will try pouring cooler, What fo load do you think I should use in tarts. I don't want them to feel oily.

If you using a soft wax they will feel oily. There's nothing you can do about it except change to a hard pillar wax.

What are the suggested fragrance loads for the waxes you want to use? Unless we know that information, nobody can make a credible suggestion on how much to use.

Guest OldGlory

Pillar blends are hard waxes - literally hard because they have to stand on their own.

Do both waxes that you want to blend say 10%? And, if you need to add 10% fragrance oil to one lb of wax, do you know how much that is? You need to have accurate measurements.

When you are new to candlemaking you should take your time to test out each wax individually before you try mixing them. Your questions can only be answered when you experience working with each wax.  Work with one wax at a time until you know everything there is to know about it. Then if you are still interested try another wax and do the same. Only when you know how each wax performs can you make an informed decision on blending wax.

• Like 2