Speed up cooling process before pouring

Hi

I'm looking for your thoughts and advice.

I add fragrance to my wax at 185 and pour at 140. Although the fragrance oil is cooler it only causes the wax temp to drop around 6 degrees which means it can take some time to lose heat depending on the amount I'm pouring.

I'm thinking of adding the fragrance at 85, cooling my pouring pitcher in cool water whilst stirring continuously until the temperature drops to around 145, taking the pitcher out of the water, allowing it to continue to cool on its own and then pouring

Before I start testing can anyone see any technical reasons as to any problems this might cause (fragrance binding to wax etc)

I'm hoping that by doing it this way I can speed up the process so I'm not hanging around waiting and additionally prevent too much fragrance oil being lost whilst waiting for the wax to cool to my required pouring temp

Thanks

David

Guest OldGlory

Is it a typo that you are thinking of adding the fragrance at 85 before putting the pitcher in a water bath to cool it? Are you using a soy wax - GB 464 to be precise?

I have been working with GB 464 for years. I can't say if it would be ok to do this, but why don't you try it on a small scale? I would let the pitcher rest for at least 10 minutes at full temperature, having stirred the fragrance well when adding it, and I would stir it well again before putting it in the water bath.

I have a hunch the pouring pot walls will build up with wax and you will not get an even cool down. Let us know how you do!

Edited by OldGlory

Oops, well spotted. Yes I meant 185.

That's a good point about the walls of the pitcher - probably the base too.

I can probably regulate the amount of cooling with the water bath temperature but I was just concerned if there were any technical issues with the possibility of 'shocking' the mix (for want of a better expression).

I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

David

Guest OldGlory

The wait time bugs me too. I just find other things to do whilst waiting for the wax to get to the appropriate temperature. You develop your own rhythm after a while.

I pour at 100.... Talk about a wait

I just make up 6 batches at a time and then clean- cook dinner or catch up on my shows while I wait

I have tried speeding up the cooling process by refridgerator and it does not work- for me anyhow, condensation built up in the fridge and make the wax burn very wonky and it had wet spots like no other

Setting the pour pots far away from eachother with a fan running has helped some but it's still a long wait- especially a 6 pound batch

I have a metal slotted spoon that I use for stirring.  When I need to speed up cooling, I stick the spoon in the freezer for a minute.  It helps a lot.

I would think if you used a water bath it would have to be alternating...in for a bit and stir; out for a bit and stir.  That would allow for more even cooling.

• Like 1

Oh, gosh, I just remembered: I met a chandler who had her own brick 'n mortar shop where she made candles behind the counter, and she demonstrated how she cooled her wax by holding two pitchers, one in each hand, and pouring the wax back and forth between the two pitchers.

To cool large batches of lotions a paddle type mixer does the trick.

The blend is votated - gently moved, constantly, around the vessel. Not enough to introduce air, just enough to release the heat evenly. A kitchen aid type mixer with a paddle works for up to a gallon in my shop. I bet for larger batches a drill attachment on a DIY stand would make quick work of wax.

Does everyone heat their GB464 to 185? I usually don't get my wax that hot. I only heat until around 135. I add my fragrance at around 100 and then pour. I know this wax is designed for hotter pours, but I just can't stand having to wait so long. It's about an hour sometimes and I get too impatient :D

• 1 month later...