high prices??

Oil wars & the economy. ;)

If that's the case wax should come WAY down now that oil is only roughly $56 a barrel as opposed to the $120 it was. :) 

I think it also has to do with as TallTayl said, supply and demand. Soy farmers have had good crops for the last several years and the marketing for soy (regardless of the claims) has been good so more people are using soy. It's hard to find people (like me) who use strictly paraffin (with some palm candles thrown in here and there).

I doubt we will see wax prices move until an awful lot of warehoused inventory everywhere is depleted.

No doubt the soy marketeers did their jobs well. You can't say the word paraffin without ducking around here. Which really is sad. I have burned some really horrible soy, palm and even beeswax candles and some truly great paraffin candles.

• Like 3

I believe a majority of waxes are Chinese imports. Paraffin (to my memory) was always more expensive than soy and was one reason some switched. The candle market is oversaturated with product but while demand might be part of the cost; import shipping has to be the main reason. The States imports a lot of glass, wax and other materials for candle production. Texas and New Jersey still produce some wax and IGI (I think) is Canadian? I didn't see candles selling very well this season.

Always keep in mind that soy is a subsidized commodity.  Our taxes go to pay farmers for growing soy, so its actual prices will always be influenced by that.  Oil is also subsidized, but in a different way, by tax breaks that oil companies get from the government.  So actual market prices won't be really and truly accurate.