Strahl and Pitsch

I've tried their waxes in the past and they are very good - had good scent throw and wicking wasn't too bad.  Their waxes are pricey and their shipping killed the deal for me.  If you contact them for samples, they used to be very generous with the amount that was sent.

Hi Chris did you try their All Natural Blend? I am looking for some pointers with it. I read a lot of posts here about their Palm wax but I am not using that one. They sent me a sample of their All Natural Blend and Parrafin Blend. The wax is pretty unique. Think and kinda feels like soap instead of wax if that makes sense???

Yes I tried the all natural container & pillar/votive and did like them both.  They are unique and easy to use & the 'feel' of it is a little different than other waxes.  I never tried their palm, but did try a paraffin blend but don't remember which one.  Like I said the throw was great & I used 1 oz./lb for most FO's I tested along with LX wicks.  If the price for shipping hadn't been so damn high I would probably still be using their waxes. 

I have never heard of this company

I just requested samples because that's what I really need right now- more testing - lol

I also asked the minimum quantity to order and shipping rates to Michigan

I have always wanted to try bayberry wax so I requested that as well- but I did not see Palm or the paraffin 482 on there

• Like 1

I have never heard of this company

I just requested samples because that's what I really need right now- more testing - lol

I also asked the minimum quantity to order and shipping rates to Michigan

I have always wanted to try bayberry wax so I requested that as well- but I did not see Palm or the paraffin 482 on there

Dawn; I used to pure bayberry wax more years ago than I would like to admit. I still have a small and, in my opinion, precious stock of around 10 pounds left. It resembles palm wax a bit in texture, in my opinion. I have only made tapers and votives with it and usually blend it with some beeswax to improve the burn qualities a bit.

I'm very suspicious of sellers who claim to offer 100% pure bayberry candles on places like eBay. The wax is very expensive. I understand that the domestic harvesting of the berries has been banned and only foreign sources are available. If I were planning to buy any it would most likely be through S&P.

All of the bayberry wax I have ever seen is a pale yellowish green. Somewhat like an olive color. The fragrance is pleasant, but slight. I suspect that modern chandlers mostly enhance the scent with fragrance oils and dye it to a bit darker green, too. JMO

Hope you enjoy this truly wonderful wax. Let us know.

Dave

I have bayberry wax & sell tapers & votives at Christmas.  I also mix it with beeswax as I use silicone molds for my tapers & since bayberry wax is very brittle, the only way to get a 100% pure taper is to dip your own, otherwise it will not come out of the mold.  Been there, tried that and made a huge mess. 

Dave- I am excited to try it if they do send me a sample and their description does say greenish white - now can this be used straight for containers?

Chris thanks for the heads up on mixing it with beeswax for votives.....I have never made tapers let alone hand dipped ones so that will not be happening-lol

but votives I would like to try again with this wax

I buy bayberry wax. The last carton was from S&P. It's not always available, and is ghastly expensive. The min is something like 25 kilos, with freight equalling the wax cost. There is a specialty market for it, but you really need to search for it. Not many people will pay what true bayberry is worth since they have no idea what it is or how precious.

Beeswax definitely improves it. As Chris noted, it is super brittle. I have been melt casting tapers, losing one candle out of every 4-5 cast to sticking, even with loads of release spray. In the same carton i have had chunks that are yellowish to dark green, it all burns a wee little bit different. You have to test just like every other wax. IMO it is not the best choice for containers. It burns much like beeswax (similar temps), which is hotter than container waxes.

It sure is a treat to work with though. Beings me right back to my NE roots.