Vegetable shortening substitution

According to this link (http://www.howtomakecandles.info/cm_article.asp?ID=CANDL0401) (see 2nd formula below), one needs "vegetable shortening" for making container candles with paraffin. "Vegetable shortening" is hydrogenated oil, which is not very accepted for use in our country, thus I cant find supplier for it. Instead I did find supplier for palm oil (MP 36C) or palm stearin (MP 50C), both being solid at room temperature. I wonder if these are good substitutes for "vegetable shortening" and which one is better?

Also, while we are at it, is soft microcrystaline wax really needed for this formula?

If you are using straight paraffin and not a blend, and not an actual container wax, then yes, that is how you can make your own container wax. Add the shortening to the straight paraffin. 

The microcrystaline helps the shortening bind with the paraffin. It's not an absolute must, but you risk separation of the 2 components without it. 

You are not going to get a container candle adding palm stearin, palm stearin is actually stearic acid. It actually increases the hardness of wax. Palm oil at room temp is solid that is something to consider another one would be coconut oil it is also solid a room temp.

The coconut oil you have is 76 degree meaning it starts to soften and melt at that temp. In the winter it can be hard enough you have to chip away with a chisel.

Do you not have Crisco in your country? That is vegetable shortening made with hydrogenated soy and palm oils.

Another sub you can use to soften your wax is petrolatum. Its a petroleum product like paraffin and is used in some wax blends to soften the wax for container wax. Too much and your candles can smoke or wicks mushroom. But you can find a balance and it works beautifully in paraffin.

Vaseline is a petroleum product. I have not tried adding it to my wax and it might be hard to find it unscented as its usually found in the baby isle at the store. I have a jar and it says its 99.9% white petrolatum so I wouldn't hesitate to try it out. For the amount you need even if its scented I doubt the scent will be imparted to the finished candle. But I would only use it if my other options were unavailable.

Every now and then articles come up that any product containing vegetable shortening is a poison, thus we don't have such products as Crisco, even margarine is not made from vegetable shortening and water for a long time.

Not sure about petrolatum, will have to check for its availability. Dictionary says that petrolatum is how Americans call Vaseline, I think its not true, because I did check unscented Vaseline contents and they don't even have petrolatum. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly) it can have many other names.

If I find it, do you happen to know approximate formula for its usage with paraffin?

Edited by wilkas
  • Like 1

Once you decide on what you want to mix then start mixing 5% at a time. So you first batch would be 15..2 oz paraffin .8oz your additive. Make a few candles test burn them. If you are not happy at that point than up you additive another 5%. test that batch. Creating your own blend is not an easy or fast process. It took me 2 years to create the blend I was happy with. It was a year getting the blend where I wanted it then another year doing testing. I tested for more than just burn I wanted to know how the blend reacted under all kinds of condition including waiting a year to burn one of the candles. I wanted not only the burn well and  throw great but I wanted the candle to hold up well in what ever way my customer may store or ship them.  

I did out door shows a lot so my candle had to be able to take the heat and cold well and still look good. Customer will not buy a candle that looks bad.

• Like 1

Every now and then articles come up that any product containing vegetable shortening is a poison, thus we don't have such products as Crisco, even margarine is not made from vegetable shortening and water for a long time.

Not sure about petrolatum, will have to check for its availability. Dictionary says that petrolatum is how Americans call Vaseline, I think its not true, because I did check unscented Vaseline contents and they don't even have petrolatum. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly) it can have many other names.

If I find it, do you happen to know approximate formula for its usage with paraffin?

Let me be a bit more clear. Petrolatum or petroleum are the same. It is a petroleum product made into a soft paraffin. It has many uses but is probably more widely known in cosmetics. Petroleum jelly or vaseline is commonly used  for treating diaper rash for babies. It also is called petrolatum and can be used to soften paraffin wax. Heck you can even make a candle out of a jar of petroleum jelly, stick a wick in it and light it. It won't be the best candle you ever made but it will work.

I am saying if you can find the kind sold to chandlers for candle making it is marketed as "petrolatum."

I have both vaseline from the supermarket and petrolatum from a candle supply and the texture is identical. The difference is one is treated for cosmetic use (the baby vaseline version) and is scented a light baby powder scent. So If you can find the kind sold specificaly for candlemaking then you don't have to worry about it being already scented.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1