Craft Show Season over for me

Jcandleattic

Thank goodness my Craft Show season is finally over. 

I just finished a 2-day show and l will say it was one of the worst ones I've done since October. 

I've signed up for either 6 or 7 next year. I can't wait. 

By then I will have to figure out something with my set up. 

This year it was okay, but I like changing it up every so often. 

Here was this weekend's set up... 

post-200-0-91618000-1417997170_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Your set up looks perfect. Everything is right there, easily reachable, organized, etc.

I'm sorry it wasn't a good show. People just weren't buying at this one?

Your set up looks perfect. Everything is right there, easily reachable, organized, etc.

I'm sorry it wasn't a good show. People just weren't buying at this one?

No, people just weren't buying, Not really. I mean it wasn't a terrible one, but it wasn't that good. I think I was also not in a very good location at this one. Right by the entrance and people would either pass right by and not even glance my way, or they would say they just got here so wanted to look around first and come back later. well, we all know how THAT goes... 

Oh well, I guess they can't ALL be good. 

Next year I think we have a pretty good spot for a few of them. (I do these shows with my niece who always gets a table next to me for her crochet) 

Guest OldGlory

The best result I've ever had I was just in the middle somewhere. I was the only one in the row who was selling and had lines of people waiting to buy. I was getting the evil eye from most of my neighbors too, lol!! I had one or two shows that we very small and I did ok, but most of the time it really sucked for me (meaning I spent more to be in the show than I made in product sales). Shows are so hit or miss.

I finished doing my shows for the season this weekend too!  I'll upload pics once I get them from my friend. 

I'm sorry it wasn't a good one.  It's hard when shows don't go well.  The setup looks great :)    Being right in front would be tough.  The one I just finished had about 250 vendors, it's a huge show and I was pretty much in the middle.  Next year I'm getting a bigger booth.

The best show I do at every year there are maybe 12 vendors IF everyone shows up, it's a 1-day- 6 hour show in a little fellowship hall of a little church. The booth fee is $10 and I sell almost $1000.00 worth every time in that 6 hours. So, I never worry about the size of a show. The bigger ones that cost more, I usually don't do as well, because there are usually many other candle/soap makers there. The one yesterday had 3 buildings, and in the building I was in there were 3 other soap makers, a few b&b'rs (doing hand scrubs, etc.) but they didn't do any better than I did yesterday. It was just an off day I think.

And you know how at shows you always get a few snarky customers asking questions like "why is yours better than what I get in the store?"  Or "Why are your prices higher than so-so booth over there?" or "Well, I could just do this at home." ? Well, it seemed that I had a TON of those type of questions/comments yesterday. (Not Saturday, just yesterday - it was odd) 

Oh well. Because it was such an odd day, and I blame the day not the show, I went ahead and signed up for it next year. Couldn't hurt. - Well, it could, but if it's bad again next year, I won't sign up again, that's all... :) 

Your booth and goodies look fabulous!! It wasn't your set up or products-- it was just the way some shows go. I've had a few bad ones this year myself.

I have 2 more Winter markets to do and then I am done for the year myself. All in all sales are better than they were last year but you have to take the whole year into account-- the bad with the good shows.

I hope that when you sum up your sales over the year you had a better year than last too!

I know what you mean about some small shows having a great sales turnout. I've had a few like that so I sometimes try out new small shows just to see if I am missing anything. This year I tried a teeny tiny show at a church way out in the stix in the country. No gas stations or anything around its really far away from civilization but yet I did better than a show I had done earlier. They have a summer ice cream social next July so I signed up for that and can't wait. Everyone loved my soap and candles! Woohoo! (Maybe they are just starved for some good old fashioned handmade items!)

Guest OldGlory

The best show I do at every year there are maybe 12 vendors IF everyone shows up, it's a 1-day- 6 hour show in a little fellowship hall of a little church. The booth fee is $10 and I sell almost $1000.00 worth every time in that 6 hours. So, I never worry about the size of a show. The bigger ones that cost more, I usually don't do as well, because there are usually many other candle/soap makers there. The one yesterday had 3 buildings, and in the building I was in there were 3 other soap makers, a few b&b'rs (doing hand scrubs, etc.) but they didn't do any better than I did yesterday. It was just an off day I think.

And you know how at shows you always get a few snarky customers asking questions like "why is yours better than what I get in the store?"  Or "Why are your prices higher than so-so booth over there?" or "Well, I could just do this at home." ? Well, it seemed that I had a TON of those type of questions/comments yesterday. (Not Saturday, just yesterday - it was odd) 

Oh well. Because it was such an odd day, and I blame the day not the show, I went ahead and signed up for it next year. Couldn't hurt. - Well, it could, but if it's bad again next year, I won't sign up again, that's all... :)

Snarky customers - do you think that it's family and friends of your competitors? When a customer like that walked away I always turned and looked to see who was watching. Invariably someone was watching the interaction. People! :waiting:

Snarky customers - do you think that it's family and friends of your competitors? When a customer like that walked away I always turned and looked to see who was watching. Invariably someone was watching the interaction. People! :waiting:

I don't know. Could be I guess. None of my direct competitors (other soap and candle makers) were in sight of my booth though. I just tried to be as polite as possible, and give them honest answers. Like "It's better because there are no detergents and the oils used are known to be good for the skin" or "I don't know what that person uses and haven't seen the booth, so I don't know" and "It's so much fun making your own products, you'll love it!" Things like that...

$1,000 in a 6 hour show!  That's incredible.  It's crazy how some can be good and some not so good. 

This last weekend all the customers were amazing and so complimentary of my products.  This is a handmade only show so it's awesome.

I did one show a few weeks ago and had a super rude lady totally put down (very loudly) my wax melts because they weren't Scen*sy.   She said all other wax melts have ruined her warmer and I assured her these wouldn't. That most of my customers use scentsy warmers and they work just fine in them.  She was like "that's what they all say"   She said she bought ones from wal-mart and they ruined her warmer and I said, Well, these aren't from Wal-mart.  And she just walked away in a huff.  SOME PEOPLE!  

I've had a small slew of bad reviews on Etsy and I sometimes wonder if it's competitor's friends trying to ruin my shop.  I totally understand that not everyone will love my products but sometimes the things they say make me wonder. 

I had one guy ask if I used my soap and when I said yes, I would never use commercial again whether I used mine or other handmade soap, he had the gall to ask how old I was!! LMAO I guess to see if my soap helped with the aging process?? IDK... 

I told him (I'm not shy about it, I do look young for my age and have no idea why other than I have always taken care of my skin since I was a teen) and then he didn't believe me when I told him. HAHA

Uh, needless to say, he didn't buy from me. 

And Suzy, yes, I love that little show. I've only done it 2 years in a row but each year it was right around the same amount of sales. I will be doing it again next year. (and every year they have it most likely) 

It's funny what people will say!  I'm keeping a mental list of what people think my wax melts are upon first glance, I've gotten lip balm, soap, lotion and playdough. lol.

I would LOVE it if my little shows brought in that much. :) 

• Like 1

Do you get the impression that some people only come out of their caves at Christmas time? LOL

YES!! And this more than anything else is why I don't follow trends and try to find the next newest hottest thing to make and sell. 

Nothing wrong with doing that, and staying on top of them, but seems like anytime I try something new people are always "what's that?" "what does it do" and then I spend more time explaining than I do selling. LOL 

Guest OldGlory

roflmbo - this explains the call to the local police dept. from someone seeing my crystal potpourri for the first time.

What a great lesson in human nature we have been privileged to experience!

Guest OldGlory

I swear, if I told half of my stories here, newbies would drop their wax and FOs and run for the hills.

East Tennessee is a very 'special' place!  :bliss::whistling: