I wanted to share some of my recent soaps, and overlook my bad photography skills..

post-9169-0-92508300-1415935002_thumb.jp

Cool Water type

post-9169-0-85342400-1415935170_thumb.jp

Peach Magnolia Raspberry

post-9169-0-82393000-1415935296_thumb.jp

Oatmeal & Honey made with oat milk and goat milk

post-9169-0-51793500-1415935426_thumb.jp

Sea Salt Charcoal Coconut Milk

post-9169-0-55487900-1415935492_thumb.jp

Japanese Cherry Blossom type

post-9169-0-04375100-1415935550_thumb.jp

Tiger Daiquiri

• Like 1

Beautiful soap, Shar! I especially love the earthiness of the Oatmeal & Honey. Very cool patterns on the Japanese Cherry Blossom.

Thanks OG! I ground up the oats in the coffee grinder for this soap, but tossed a few whole oats on top for decoration. The Japanese Cherry Blossom from FB is quite an accelerator in soap! It's my Mother's favorite, and I like the fragrance too, so I guess it's worth all the trouble..

Guest OldGlory

Shar, who taught you to make soap? And what is oat milk?

I am a relative newcomer to soap making - I'd say about 8 years ago is when I got the nerve to make my first batch. I read lots of books on the subject, but most of them were outdated by the time I decided to take the plunge. My mother's mother was the crafty one and she is definitely to blame for my interest in crafting, but she didn't make soap or candles. I simply woke up one day and wanted to do these things.

Shar, who taught you to make soap? And what is oat milk?

I am a relative newcomer to soap making - I'd say about 8 years ago is when I got the nerve to make my first batch. I read lots of books on the subject, but most of them were outdated by the time I decided to take the plunge. My mother's mother was the crafty one and she is definitely to blame for my interest in crafting, but she didn't make soap or candles. I simply woke up one day and wanted to do these things.

I taught myself. I have terrible skin, and after trying lye soap and the improvement in my skin after using just one bar, I knew I wanted to try making it myself. I read books from our library and lots of research and trial & error.   I've always been crafty and a diy type person. I taught myself how to paint to when we built our house and went overbudget,lol...

To make oat milk- you simply just soak oats in a bowl of water for a day or two and strain. The ratio I use is about a cup or more to 4 cups of water. I stir it every now and then and then strain out the oats before mixing with  my lye for soapmaking. It turns a light brownish color after mixing with the lye.