Lye Calculators

7 Pawz

As a novice soaper, I depend on them greatly.  As I research CP recipes, I've occasionally come across people that don't follow them that closely, each has their own opinions of course and I guess the more experienced they are, they probably feel comfortable about that.   I don't think that I will ever not use them.

Do you as a soapmaker feel that they are beneficial to you?

I prefer soapcalc and do find it very helpful. I can calculate my lye and liquid without an online calculator as I have my own spreadsheet for that. My figures are consistent with soapcalc so I can rely on it if I can't access soapcalc.

But I like using soapcalc for more than just calculating my recipe. I can try out new formulations and find out the numerics for fatty acid profiles and soap conditioning properties. It has been helpful in helping me reformlating my shampoo, facial, shaving, bath, and other various soap recipes I create. Another feature is I like to print out my recipe. Each soap I make has "papers" so I can go back to it for any reason. I also keep notes on the recipe papers so if I want to change something I can refer to my notes.

I also use soapcalc as a gage for recipe creations meaning just because the numbers don't always look great on soapcalc it doens't mean it won't be an awesome soap. You should not rely completely on any soap calculator for the soap properties of every soap. But it helps me fine tune properties I am aiming for so to that effect it is very helpful. Hope that makes sense.

I prefer soapcalc and do find it very helpful. I can calculate my lye and liquid without an online calculator as I have my own spreadsheet for that. My figures are consistent with soapcalc so I can rely on it if I can't access soapcalc.

But I like using soapcalc for more than just calculating my recipe. I can try out new formulations and find out the numerics for fatty acid profiles and soap conditioning properties. It has been helpful in helping me reformlating my shampoo, facial, shaving, bath, and other various soap recipes I create. Another feature is I like to print out my recipe. Each soap I make has "papers" so I can go back to it for any reason. I also keep notes on the recipe papers so if I want to change something I can refer to my notes.

I also use soapcalc as a gage for recipe creations meaning just because the numbers don't always look great on soapcalc it doens't mean it won't be an awesome soap. You should not rely completely on any soap calculator for the soap properties of every soap. But it helps me fine tune properties I am aiming for so to that effect it is very helpful. Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense, very much so.  I used soap calc recently for a 2 oil recipe, I felt the soap would be soft and the numbers proved it, but it also showed that it would be very good on skin conditioning, hardness was in a low range, guess its due to the iodine #, but I thought it would be a start for my dog shampoo---

I agree with Candybee on everything she said. 

I mainly use calculaters for my lye/water calculations of course, but same as Candybee, can figure them on my own as long as I have the SAP value of the oils. IMO it's something I feel every soaper should calculate by had at least once, but that is just my opinion and I don't get all dramatic or judgmental if people don't do it or don't know how. :)

I will also use Soapcalc when formulating a new recipe to fine tune the properties I want for that particular soap, and see what the numbers are, even though I rarely use them for anything more than just a guideline. 

(for instance a typical recipe says the cleansing #'s should be in the 12-22 range or it will be too harsh - I have a recipe that is at a 40 cleansing number and it is a very conditioning bar, and not stripping at all) 

(So basically I just repeated what Candybee said but used different words -LOL).

Edited by Jcandleattic