Library and book fragrances

Faerywren

My husband showed me an article the other day about candles for booklovers. A number of companies have scented candles with names like Library or Biblioteche and other book related terms. I've looked for a supplier for such an oil, but haven't had any luck. Many of my offered fragrances are custom blends, so I suppose I'll have to come up with my own take on an old bookstore/library FO. I'm thinking woods, a subdued spice note and maybe tobacco. What do y'all think?

Although "green" in their respective aroma profiles, both "Cucumber" and "Fresh Cut Grass" can be used to impart that book smell when used VERY very (did I mention very) sparingly when paired with a vanilla-leathery aroma (Castoreum / suede). SOS's BOOK scents are fairly accurate but not pleasant to most and I know at least one that's a bit TOO "green". The reviews prove that.

You're not going to have much luck finding a true Book smell. I would strongly recommend mixing your own. A soft leather fragrance would be a good starting point with a hint of a dry Maple, or possibly even an Oatmeal FO. SERIOUSLY! Add to that a DROP or two of FCG (old books) or Cucumber (new books) and you should be pretty close. The trick is to offset ANY green notes with a heavy dose of vanilla-leather.

If you're going for a Library smell you'd likely want to use a Tobacco FO as mentioned previously by Ravens. 

I was browsing on Cierra Candles website and saw a fragrance oil that sounds like what you're talking about. It's called Scentsy Type "Oxford" and is described as a masculine, sophisticated blend, of ginger and frankincense, combined with woodsy cedar and rich amber undertones. Just an fyi, I've personally never smelled this oil, but I remembered your post and thought you might be interested..

Thank for the suggestions. I was thinking tobacco should be involved in the blend somewhere, too. I have a Sherlock Holmes inspired blend that is mahogany spice, bay rum, lime, vanilla, tobacco and sandalwood but with a little tweeking it could easily work. I would like to smell the FO from SOS, though.