wood wicks in pillars

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

What the heck? I would really love to try this, but I don't have a clue where to start. Has anyone tried it? The only way I can see to do it is to invert the process so the top is now the bottom, not use a wick stand/holder, and just level it off at the bottom (top if you were using a normal wick). My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Guest OldGlory

I'll let you know how it goes, Trappeur! It does sound like your style.

The part that bothers me is the fact that you would have to dig out the bottom to put a wick holder on it. I know some people don't use wick tabs in pillars with normal wicks but that sounds like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen. Am I being too cautious?

I found this at Lonestar, I'll keep searching.

.http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candle-making/candle-wicks/

Wooden wicks are for use in containers, and should not be used in pillars or votives.  Wooden wicks can be used in paraffin or soy.  When using our wooden wicks in pure soy, we recommend using the large or extra large wick.  This is to make sure the melt pool is wide enough since pure soy wax tends to hold in the heat, as well as fragrance.

To achieve a good "crackle" sound with the wooden wicks, it is very important that you do not use too much fragrance oil.  The crackle is a direct result of the correct amount of fragrance oil, type of wax, and amount of dye being used.    

This one says they can be used in Pillarshttp://www.woodcandlewick.com/

Edited by ChandlerWicks

How funny. Aztec says to use 6-8% FO and dyes for best results/crackle. I have a few ww. I will try it soon.

i found this on another site, hehe!

One site says the higher the fragrance load the more crackle you’ll get, while another says it is very important that you do not use too much fragrance oil. Maybe this just means not to go over the fragrance amounts recommended by the manufacturer.

Guest OldGlory

The Bella link has some great information on it. I am wondering if I heat a thin blade knife if I could penetrate a pillar and create a place for a ww.

Hmmm!