flair

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie (candles) and I would like to know what your top 10 must have FOs are and also the ones that haven't worked well for you.  If you could include the supplier as well that would really help.  My wife and I have decided to do this together so we don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.  I really appreciate your knowledge and help.

Thanks

First, welcome to the board. 

FO tends to have a different reaction in different waxes, so while you won't be reinventing the wheel so to speak you will have to discover how it turns with whatever concoction you use. 

You'll also discover that what works in say my neck of the woods is a no go in your woods. Even worse is the geographical location we seem to stalk has a different mover in each town, which blows any hopes we had of a top 10 list. So while others may be able to move vanillas, pumpkins, foodie scents all over the place, we can't. But while they may try to move a patchouli, sandalwood or fruity scent and can't, we can depending on where we're at. So along that line, you're only going to know what moves in your area. Once upon a time we went the route of what everyone else was carrying only to decide that we didn't want to be defined as a "they're all alike" company. 

Then there's the preferences. I may buy from ABC, but XYZ might have a better scent. Now I might try the XYZ company and think that person was crazy. They might try the ABC company and think the same thing. And maybe the ABC company I use is fantastic in my concoction, but you might use palm or soy and it may not fare that well. So to would be that maybe XYZ is fabulous in other concoctions, but falls way short in what I use. 

It might be better to know what kind of wax or waxes you are using and what type of candles. 

Personally if you're new, more than half the fun is discovery. Finding the right wick and if you're doing containers (the right container) is half the headache. 

So I thought about telling you what my top 10 are, but I can't, because the scents we carry, if we break down, all average out to be about the same and we have more than 10. 

If you're looking for a starting point ... go with what you like, your preferences, and add a few that might intrigue you. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 4

Guest OldGlory

So true! The regional differences are huge - to include the differences in fragrance preference, the style of candle that will sell, the price you can ask, whether you do retail or wholesale business, etc. There's no right answer to your question.

What you might consider is shopping the local stores, pretending that you want to buy some candles for gifts, and ask them what their best sellers are. Try several stores, check out your local farmer's markets and flea markets. You'll get a better picture of what sells in your area that way.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great section of the forum to read up on whats trending and get ideas for candle scents that might work in your candle system.

Right now there are several discussions on fall and holiday scents. Just scroll down the fragrance forum and start reading!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the beginning of sharing... Yes we are starting with container candles and I didn't realize a specific container would make a big difference. So not all glass containers are alike???  If not what are some of the pitfalls and where should I look.  I was just about to place an order and now I am waiting on a response before doing so to make sure I don't waste good money.

Thanks

Guest OldGlory

My comment was suggesting that some jars do well in some areas but not others. As an example, I live in a rural area, and the little square mason jars are good sellers here. In other market areas, a straight-sided jar might sell better than the square mason. Nobody knows what will sell in your area.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. :D