New Formulation

chuck_35550

Made a two pound test batch using a new formulation with FB Cucumber Melon fo. The test batch used 100% goats milk and I did a hanger swirl. Soaped at a really cool temp of 68 degrees and got a beautiful creamy white soap base that was thick but very manageable. The fo behaved beautifully and at .05 oz pp was more than strong enough and so far has stuck well in the finished product. I used a sample in the shower this morning and was pleased with the results. I can't say enough about the cucumber/melon, as it is the best one I've ever experienced. The formulation is heavy on tallow and light on the olive, so this is one I wouldn't use for delicate swirling (will soap at higher temp to see how well it works) but so far so good.

Steve

• Like 1

Is FB Fragrance Buddy? I use SGS/ Pure Fragrance Oils Cucumber Melon and its a big seller for me. I use aloe and cucumber juice as my lye water and coconut milk for the other half of my liquid. This year I have sold a lot of CM so it is definitely making a comeback.

I've been saving my tallow mostly for my shaving soaps but I love a good animal fat soap with either tallow or lard.

Edited by Candybee

Yes, Fragrance Buddy. Your soap sounds really nice, I'll have to give that a try. I read that beef tallow is very healthy for human skin and have always loved the qualities it gives soap. I would love to get my hands on some leaf lard but its too expensive and rare to come by.

Steve

Steve-- check out your local farmer's markets. I was able to find a couple of farmers that butcher their own stock and willing to sell me lard and or tallow. One said they had the leaf lard. I never took them up on it because I don't think I really want to render my own fat other than for the experience. But local markets, butchers, etc. may have leaf lard if you ask around. Every town, city, and county around here has a local farmers market. I'm sure their are some in your area too. Lots more people selling at markets who lost their jobs and using it as a source for income so more chances to find one that sells meat and meat products.

BTW-- I love both lard and tallow soaps too!

Edited by Candybee

Just poured Supernova from FB with an all vegetable formulation and a four color swirl. I took one of those heavy duty ribbed plastic straws that go in drinking cups and ran my wire hanger through it. The ribs make all these cool little patterns in the soap. Hope to cut it today. Behaved beautifully. Soaped at 87 degrees with full gm and had lots of time. Leaf lard comes from around the kidney and internal organ area of the hog and is renowned for making pie crusts and cooking. Its too bad that somebody doesn't mfg a non-hydrogenized lard but I understand the need for something to stay on the shelf for all eternity before it spoils. I'll look into the local scene but so far nobody seems interested.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Soaped the tallow formulation at a higher temp and got identical results. But the soap is so good, I intend to stay with that formulation but use it for solid color or high vanilla content fos. This last batch is butt ugly but a great bar of soap. So far all the Lush types from Fragrance Buddy are super.

Steve

Here's the formulation:

Coconut Oil-20%

Olive oil-15%

Tallow-40%

Palm OIl-20%

Castor-5%

Super Fat at 5%, 2:1 ration on water and .05% pp on fo

Hardness-52 Cleansing-17 Conditioning-45 Bubbly-21 Creamy-39 INS-160

The Palmitic and Stearic number are high but the Lauric and Myristic are reasonable IMHO while the Oleic balances well with the other numbers. I wash my hair and body with this soap and everything squeaks but so far I haven't one patch of dry skin or itch. I soap up my pouf and have enough bubbles and soap to wash my body and then some. Sorry if I'm bragging but its cause I love tallow soaps.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I soap using 30% - 40% tallow. The creamy lather can not be imitated in any veggie recipe I've tried. I have never noticed dryness. My skin is always silky smooth. In fact, I shave with it everyday. I do use Shea butter and 30% olive oil for conditioning. Its a killer bar or soap!!!