Mushroom - CD wick - End of Burn

With the CD wick, does a mushroom usually appear as the 12 oz Status jar get closer to the bottom because of the flowing air current? The sides of the jar is clean, the melt pool is about 1/4 inch. The jar is pretty warm, but not scorching hot. I was pretty satisfied with the burn during the first half session of the burn. The Flame is not that high after burning 4 hours. Its is just that the mushroom is aggravating me.

To me, the mushrooming varies from fragrance to fragrance. I will get mushrooming with some FOs and not others. The amount of FO is another factor that will affect mushrooming. If you've been burning your candle for four hours, you can extinguish the flame, trim the wick and get rid of the mushroom. You can light your candle immediately thereafter. Be sure to remove any drippings from your pool of melted wax. I don't know anything about the "flowing air current" though. Sometimes the mushroom appears at the beginning, midway, near the end of the burn and sometimes not at all. I sure wish I could give a more definitive answer but as you know, there are no definite answers when it comes to candlemaking.

Edited by cynthia3030
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about this yesterday!

With some fragrances, I get mushrooming with my last burn too.

I figure if I'm happy with the burn overall. And there's no soot, melt pool is good, jar isn't hot, great throw, great roc, etc... Then I'm not going to get too worked up over some mushrooming during the last burn of the candle.

I also use CD wicks (in 8oz jelly jars)

You

I was just thinking about this yesterday!

With some fragrances, I get mushrooming with my last burn too.

I figure if I'm happy with the burn overall. And there's no soot, melt pool is good, jar isn't hot, great throw, great roc, etc... Then I'm not going to get too worked up over some mushrooming during the last burn of the candle.

I also use CD wicks (in 8oz jelly jars)

You pretty much hit it with this statement!  It's a party when everything goes right and 9 out of 10 is pretty darn good in my book.  I've learned to embrace wet spots & mushrooms when I get them.  I absolutely hate soot but

with a few heavy vanillas in certain jars I just can't get rid of it, so had to learn to overlook that as well.

• Like 1