Multiple Wick C3 and CB Advanced container candles

Hi,

I am making 3-wick candles in glass vases (diameter varying from 4.5"to 5") since a few years but find that with both waxes I still get quite a lot of soot build up on the candle itself. Once the candle if burned halfway through black circles start to form on the top of the candle and towards the end the candle looks very ugly and dirty. I usually use 3 x CD8 or 10 for them as I found that 3 x CD7 doesn't give a whole melt pool.

Can any one tell me if this soot up build is normal or if I should mix my wax with anything or use other wicks? I have tried Eco, LX, HTP, RRD wicks but don't really like them as much as the CD. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Hi,

I also get this black film of soot on the candle when not using any fragrance. I don't get it when burning a 1 wick candle, only when I put multiple wicks in, usually 3 wicks. Does anyone experience this when making multiple wick candles using the Soy C3 or CB Advanced?

I use both waxes together and the only time I get soot is when my wick is too big. I use htp and eco's with this blend. You may try 3 htp's together because they get pretty hot but the eco's get pretty hot also. If you try the htp's you may want to start with 3 htp's 31's and go up from there. Have you tried using two wicks, instead of 3? Have you tried 2 wicks that burn hot, you may find that you don't really need 3 wicks.

Testing candles is the most frustrating part but it's necessary and sometimes drives me crazy lol.hth

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. And yes testing candles is very very frustrating!!! I have tried 2 wicks in another diameter but this doesn't work for me, I don't get a whole mp. I have tried a palm wax mixed in with a little bit of C3 and RRD wicks and the vase gets really really hot, even with the smaller wicks the vase gets hot but this still doesn't solve any soot issues.

I don't have soot issues with the 1 wick, just with the multiple wicks. So Vernie why do you mix the CB advanced and C3 together and in a 4 1/2" vase, would you use the HTP wicks and how far a part would you place them from each other? And don't you get any soot left on the candle surface or on the walls of the vase?

Thanks in advance!

I mix the two because C-3 is such a finicky wax by itself. To me cb-advance helps with the glass adhesion, smooth tops without me adding any additives. Some people use universal soy additive, and get good results. I haven't tried this yet. I started out with C-3 and had alot of trouble with it. The ct is great but the ht isn't all that lol. Once the candle has been burned the tops looks ugly but not with this mixture, it smooth although you can tell the candle has been burned.

I would start out testing the htp's 31, 41 & 52. I probably wouldn't go higher than a 52 because these wicks burn hot but depending on your candle formula you may need to test a 62. Try spacing your wicks about 1" apart but try not to get to close to the glass, you don't want it to get too hot. You can space them in the form of a triangle for good even spacing. Htp, eco,'s and cd wicks are clean burning, unless the wick is too big.

So, how do your candles turn out using C-3? Do you use it by itself or you always add palm wax or something else. If I use C-3 by itself, it's gonna be trouble lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been testing the C3 (left) in a vase with 3 wicks and the CB Advanced (right) in a vase with 3 wicks. I used a FO load of 8% of the same fragrance in both candles and CD7 wicks in both…the results don't lie.

The soot in the C3 (left) is considerably worse than the CB Advanced (right) and the wax becomes much darker yellow then the CB Advanced.

I also have problems with tiny little bubbles forming on top of the candle in the C3, does anyone else have this or knows why this is?

If I use the C3 on its own, without any FO but with CD8 wicks for example, it burns a lot cleaner (same as CB Advanced with FO) but there are still lots of tiny bubbles on the surface.

So my opinion is that the CB Advanced is so much better, a lot more expensive, but lots better and cleaner.

I am selling refills for these vases as well which I can not make with the C3 as it doesn't unmould but the CB Advanced does unmould as long as the temperature in the room is not too hot. I am trying to make a more perfect candle and refill for this as there is still some soot on the surface after many hours burning. 

Can anyone tell me what I could add to make the CB Advanced a little harder and so easier to unmould and to make it an even more clean burning candle to take that last bit of soot away? I was thinking to add a bit (10 to 20% max.) of beeswax?

I am currently testing a combination of CB Advanced with 20% of Ecosoy PB but i can see there is still a tiny bit of soot on the surface. Anyone got any ideas for a more soot free option?

Thanks so much in advance for any comments.

post-5449-0-32721400-1395928317_thumb.jp

post-5449-0-61599800-1395928613_thumb.jp

Edited by Marieke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marieke,

I have exact the same issue. I'm using a 4" cylinder container with 3x HTP 62. As for wax I'm using a 70/30 paraffin/soy blend (Eco Soy Advanced). I've called multiple wick manufacturers and they have all told me to wick down if I am seeing soot on top of the candle. 

Have you tried using the HTP31, 41 or 52? Please respond if you did..I think Vernie asked already but there was no response..in previous posts you did say you tried all HTP wicks

Right now, I am going to be testing some other wick companies which you have listed but it would be really helpful if you list all the exact wick models you have tested so that way we can collaborate on which ones are not working..and which ones will work.

PM me with your email and we can collaborate on a solution to this problem as it is causing me an extreme headache as well