OK Another silly, silly question

I keep reading on soy candle web sites that soy is much more expensive than paraffin wax,

" paraffin is a cheap alternative" I guess I must be getting my wax (cb30 4627) from the wrong distributors because my paraffin is much more expensive than the soy- cb3, eco soy, 464, 415 ummm pretty much all the soy!! so my question is WHERE the heck is the cheap paraffin hanging out these days???? and why wasn't I told about it....lol

Prices change all the time depending on the cost of the raw materials. At this point in time, soy wax is cheaper than paraffin, which makes parasoy blends a good value. If the soy bean crop is poor this year or there is a disruption in the oil supply, prices will change again.

There are different grades of paraffin. The less toxic is food grade paraffin. Soy/palm are healthier alternative but as with most things you buy you have to know about the seller and where the products are coming from. Some Soy/palm choices are tainted with toxins as well. It comes down to the individuals choice and preference. The best alternative is Bees Wax but it's very pricey to buy, unless you can connect with a local bee keeper but then it has to be processed into usable wax for candles.

My local supplier has also expensive paraffin wax. Soy is my best option. My customers ask me which I use and I tell them that I only use Soy, they all say good.

Non of my regular clients like paraffin. The only reason I would use it is to make floating tealights - and that is rare for me.

I used soy in the beginning but to be honest it just IMO not a pretty wax, I do use palm and a parasoy blend that I love to death but the pure soy was just not for me the throw was ok but the candles themselves were not that exciting. no one has ever asked me what wax I use and it has never been a point of selling for me maybe its my location but the customers truly don't seem that concerned with it. they do want a clean burning candle that looks and smells great. I posted this because I have seen many soy candle sites saying that paraffin was a much cheaper wax than soy, I pay $170 with shipping for a 55lb case of my paraffin wax and the palm is like $125,my soy (when iused soy) seemed to be a heck of a lot cheaper but it was just to difficult to work with and I never got the scent throw that I was after.

• 1 month later...

JennaV,

Did you ever get your candles back from the wicking company? I saw your other thread that you sent off a couple jars. Curious how that went. Also- have you checked into a different supplier to get your wax. That's a crazy amount of $$$ for shipping! I started out like you paying an arm/leg for shipping and luckily found someone who is just a few hours away. I now drive to get my supplies. $20 in gas is much cheaper for me and a nice 4hr drive to 'think' and relax!

Hope to see you back on here for your reply.

Jenna, I totally understand your pain.  I live in northern Minnesota and placed an order last night for sixty pounds of wax.  It was also over 150.00 with the shipping, but not much else I can do.  There is no one around me to get wax from and in the winter up here, you don't travel much because roads are always slick and icy.   And winter lasts about nine months!!  LOL

Hello,

We buy a LOT of wax -both paraffin and vegetable.  Paraffin is typically more expensive than soy or palm.  Paraffin prices are usually more stable than soy or palm due to crop seasonality.  There are lower cost paraffins but you get what you pay for.  Lower cost paraffins are likely not refined and contain a higher oil content which contributes to soot and possibly off odors.  I find it best to use a hybrid of paraffin and vegetable waxes for both cost and performance.  Good luck.

Todd