Fuel Smell - Peaks?

Hello - I was wondering - as I am about to pour some tester, using a 6% load of Peaks Key Lime, Mandarin Plum, Sage and Lemon Grass, Lemon Pound Cake, and Orange Chiffon Cake. I will be using either their 4630 or their 4786 wax,their prestige jars, and their C series wicks. Has anyone gotten a fuel smell from any of these scents or have you had success using a different type of wick or jar with these scents? I have been recently testing (at 4 hour intervals) 4630 with LX and CD wicks and the Black Jars (no draft), Something Burning smells,the trimmed wicks / highflames with the MP not even reaching the sides of the jar by the third burn, are beginning to tap my nerves. All this is going on at 1 oz. per LB. I am looking into future testing with the 8 oz apothecary jars or tumblers type jars. If anyone have any suggestions I will be greatful. Thanks

Edited by Grani L

I have encountered fuel smells and high flames and uneven burns caused by IGI waxes especially one pour waxes and generally paraffin waxes where all of the additives are blended in when you purchase the wax. This isn't necessarily a solution to your problem, but perhaps it will help you identify and isolate your problem in order to find a solution.

Edited by cynthia3030

I have encountered fuel smells and high flames and uneven burns caused by IGI waxes especially one pour waxes and generally paraffin waxes where all of the additives are blended in when you purchase the wax. This isn't necessarily a solution to your problem, but perhaps it will help you identify and isolate your problem in order to find a solution.

I've never noticed that with any of the IGI waxes I've used, unless I got the wicking and/or scent ratios wrong. Once the wicking and ratios were corrected, so were all the associated problems that went with it.

That's one reason why testing is so important.

Of course, this is just my experience with the waxes I've been using for many years.

I've never noticed that with any of the IGI waxes I've used, unless I got the wicking and/or scent ratios wrong. Once the wicking and ratios were corrected, so were all the associated problems that went with it.

That's one reason why testing is so important.

Of course, this is just my experience with the waxes I've been using for many years.

So from your experiences would you suggest - a different wick type for citrusy FO's in 4630 wax? I have tested also CD's in this wax, and got a serious fuel smell with the fruit slices FO. I have HTP wicks - I havent tested them yet, but they look exactly like the CD wicks. Do you know if they burn the same? I know I have to pay attention to the MPs from Differnt suppliers also, as they all do not have the same MP for their 4630 waxes.

Edited by Grani L

So from your experiences would you suggest - a different wick type for citrusy FO's in 4630 wax? I have tested also CD's in this wax, and got a serious fuel smell with the fruit slices FO. I have HTP wicks - I havent tested them yet, but they look exactly like the CD wicks. Do you know if they burn the same? I know I have to pay attention to the MPs from Differnt suppliers also, as they all do not have the same MP for their 4630 waxes.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't use CD or HTP wicks in any of my applications. Most of my container waxes I use zinc wicks, and occasionally LX. But yes, my suggestion would be to try different wicks/wick sizes to see if that helps. I would think the only way you would get a fuel smell is if you are burning too hot, meaning your wick is too large for the size container, but not knowing anything about your wicks (because I've never used them), I can't attest to that.

It's weird you are getting different MPs from different suppliers. I assume they are getting it straight from IGI without manipulation, especially since most suppliers will ship the cases directly in the boxes they get from IGI. I would check the IGI site directly and go with that MP regardless of supplier.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't use CD or HTP wicks in any of my applications. Most of my container waxes I use zinc wicks, and occasionally LX. But yes, my suggestion would be to try different wicks/wick sizes to see if that helps. I would think the only way you would get a fuel smell is if you are burning too hot, meaning your wick is too large for the size container, but not knowing anything about your wicks (because I've never used them), I can't attest to that.

It's weird you are getting different MPs from different suppliers. I assume they are getting it straight from IGI without manipulation, especially since most suppliers will ship the cases directly in the boxes they get from IGI. I would check the IGI site directly and go with that MP regardless of supplier.

I mentioned this because I recently ordered 4630 from peaks. The MP on this 4630 wax is a lot lower than the MP for the Cajun 4630, which is listed as 137. I also noticed on the actual igi sight for 4630, they have the FO usage amount at 8 - 10%, but some suppliers recommend a 6% usage. But 4786 seems to be pretty consistent per suppliers that I have noted.

I love HTPs in 4630. I would start with a HTP 83 or 93 in that jar.

Regarding the fuel smell, all of your scents have citrus in them, after close to 2 years I still haven't been able to get citrus scents to not smell like fuel when burning. I use IGI wax and never have a problem otherwise.