Taper candle mould

craftimade

I purchased 1kg of Silicone Rubber & blue catalyst off eBay and made my own taper mould from them.

I used a plastic knife/fork/spoon container (which is camping type throw away items) and placed 2 ready made taper candles inside, then made up the silicone rubber and poured it in. I made two silicone mould, each with 2 tapers per mould.

I tested them today with beeswax and while i'm happy with the results I will try and do them again now I understand the silicone better.

Here is some pics.

post-17381-139458518275_thumb.jpg

post-17381-139458518294_thumb.jpg

post-17381-139458518313_thumb.jpg

post-17381-139458518332_thumb.jpg

post-17381-13945851835_thumb.jpg

A couple of things to take notice of.

1. When you cut the silicone, be very careful. I managed to cut 2 line in the same area and now the tapers have a indent on them.

2. Using rubber bands to bond the silicone together when pouring is a MUST, otherwise wax will leak out. It also helps to have lots of bands over the entire area rather then just 2-3. I use 10.

3. Make sure you get a hole centered in the middle of the candle for the wick otherwise you have a wick hanging out the top wrong (one of mine is not centered and it looks shocking).

With not many people to go to nowadays for moldmaking, any thoughts on when you get comfortable enough, doing a demo for a tutorial?

Oh yea I would be waiting on that one. I did say it was fun not that I was successful so a demo would be wonderful.

I don't feel I could do a tutorial at this time, it's really a tight timeline and if you get it wrong it can destroy the mould.

I made 4 Lemon Myrtle tapers in soy today and they come out great. Little line down the side but easy to shave off with a razor blade.

I watched this video and it's pretty much the same as what I did.

I do have to make another mould so I might try and take some photos while im doing it or setup the ipad on a tripod and film it.