Lavender EO vs Lavender FO

I apologize if this question has already been addressed, I have searched the forums and the archives but haven't found an answer for my specific question. I have a friend who is wanting a lavender candle for her bedroom to help create a calming effect. Would a FO alone do it or would I need an EO/FO blend? If so, what proportions would I use? Mind you, I'm not going to sell these, just making a good friend one, who is neither pregnant or breast feeding. I know those things might be of concern to the more seasoned chandlers on here ;)

TIA

Jennifer

I am developing an aromatherapy line of candles and Lavender will be one of them. I'm not wanting to get into the discussion of FO vs EO and their therapeutic values but I think it's mostly how the user relates to the fragrances. The lavender FO for Candle Science is very good with both CT and HT, it was a big seller for me this fall. When researching FO vs. EO the impression I got was that EOs where great but didn't have the lifespan of FOs. So, going with straight EOs may not produce the best candle. On the other hand, many candle FOs do contain both FO and EO which, to me, is the best of both worlds.

Others who work with EOs hopefully will add their experience to this thread.

Well I can say that Peak's Lavender has a very calming effect and too much of it you can get that "stoned" effect. EOs will work in wax, but like mentioned, several fragrances will contain both. Sustainability and (should decide to sell) cost can play into making your choice. Lavender is pretty reasonable in EO form, just not as reasonable as FO. There are a variety of EOs too, some which smell pretty good and others that might make you go phew.

the EO test I have done in my waxes were not impressive. Many EO's stink when ignited. Others just plain didn't burn right in my waxes. Not to mention EO's change from year to year based on growing conditions (like grapes for wine).

For a repeatable candle product that performs the way it is supposed to, I prefer to stick with FO's that were designed for burning in candles.