IGI 4630/4627 and GF(B) 464 soy blend for tarts.

Bumblebeebabe

I am new to the forum. I am trying to find a better wax blend then what I have been doing. I was doing GF 415 and KY 133 but the melt point was just to high to get a good throw. It takes an hour just to get the whole tart melted and the wax pool to really be liquid instead of a gel like state.

I was thinking about a 60% 464, 25% 4630, and 15% 4627. What do you all think? I do want a softer wax because I really prefer the way they melt and how they throw. From what I have found the harder the wax the less the throw. I do however want it hard enough to not turn to mush in my hands,that is why I am adding the 4630 and not just 4627.

It needs to be easy to cut and when put in the warmer and melted then cooled and put in the freezer I want it to come out without cracking. hard wax cracks a lot more. I also want a loaf to be easy enough to cut without shattering.

I had thought about trying 4642(IGI) but can't find anyone who carries it.

Have any of you used or tried these waxes either together or apart and in either tarts or containers? I also want to do containers with it as well.

Imo, if you dont use some kind of pillar wax, the melts will not come cleanly out of the portion cups, clamshells etc. If you want it to be softer try a 70/30 blend with 4627 OR 4630 and 4625 (pillar)...for a parasoy melt, try 70/30 464 and 4625. Many here use a 50/50 blend with the wax they prefer and 4625 or other pillar wax and have awesome results...hth.

Imo, if you dont use some kind of pillar wax, the melts will not come cleanly out of the portion cups, clamshells etc. If you want it to be softer try a 70/30 blend with 4627 OR 4630 and 4625 (pillar)...for a parasoy melt, try 70/30 464 and 4625. Many here use a 50/50 blend with the wax they prefer and 4625 or other pillar wax and have awesome results...hth.

Agreed!

I was doing a 70/30 with a soy and a harder paraffin, well the KY 133 is for votives or tarts or things like that and I hated how hard it was I also tried the igi 1343(i think that is the one) . they cracked to much and honestly for a melt the whole thing should melt evenly right? It needs a good pool? I was just not getting that with the pillar or votive waxs I was using. Is the 4625 any better then the other two I used? Also scent load and throw are very very important and what I use MUST have the best throw I can get. I love very strong scents and to be honest I have not been able to find a vendor who makes or even make myself anything strong enough. Some of the big brands have been strong enough but I don't want to make wax for others and then melt glade or Yankee in my home. If I don't like it I wont sell it, does that make sense? Also I wont be doing Portion cups I have silicone scalloped tart molds and a few other silicone molds. As well as clam Shells and Brittle that I do. I also do grubbies and chunks as well as loafs. I also make container candles. I need a softer easier to cut wax. but I know that the 4627 is almost squishy in the hands right? I heard like Vaseline. That is to soft. Even blended with my soy i worry. everything is blended with Soy 464. I love that wax. lol

4625 is a very hard wax but to make a good melt, grubby, clamshell etc, you're going to need a pillar wax to blend with either the 464 or 4627. As I mentioned before, if you need it to be softer lower the percentage of the pillar wax and when you need it for tarts up the percentage. There are hundreds of posts on melt blends, waxes, and such in the wickless section. Alot of testing is needed and what works for one does not mean it will work for another...thats why we test. Peak offers 2lb samples on all their waxes and is a great, affordable way to test to see what waxes you prefer.

So does the 4625 have those issues like the other waxes I have tried? Also does it have good scent throw?

I use 4625 for my melts as 50% of the blend, and by itself for pillars. IMO it has awesome HT. As lmc mentioned, it does need to be mixed with a softer wax (container) for proper melting in warmers. 464, 4630 or 4627 are all good waxes to blend in.

4625 FO load is listed as 6%, I make my melts and candles at between 7% and 8%. For me it's a happy place in terms of the CT, HT, and the wick. Adding more gives me bigger mushrooms and would force me to find a larger or hotter wick. So, my blend can easily support that load. Melts, of course, don't need a wick so going higher may be possible but the soy wax that I use supports 6% to 9% so I'd have to make even more changes to go higher.

Edited by rjdaines

ok thank you so much. I wanted to use around 8% so it is good to know. the other waxes I am using have a scent load of 12% and I wont need to use that much all the time but I do have a few scents that I love but are just super light and I really want to use more for those. if it is mixed with something that can hold 12% and I am just making tarts and the 4625 is used at less then 15% of the whole wax blend do you think I could manage 10% possible? I just really like a strong throw because I have an almost 500sqft living area. it makes it hard to scent the whole thing.

thank you so much for all the help and advice everyone. Wax is so much harder to get right when it comes to scent then body care is lol. I am use to body care. I just always follow the MSDS rules because I have out of country customers and the laws in Europe are strict for body care. but candles are so much more confusing. :) thank you all for the patience when dealing with us newbies.

• 1 year later...