Which type or jar are best for soy wax?

Which type of jars are best for soy? Does the thickness matter? Does the type of lid matter, i.e. plastic lid, wooden lid, etc.?

I have been reading and will soon order my first soy candle kit. I was just wondering if anyone had any general or specific tips about certain jars and about what type of jars to buy instead of blindly buying the wrong ones.

Which type of jars are best for soy? Does the thickness matter? Does the type of lid matter, i.e. plastic lid, wooden lid, etc.?

I have been reading and will soon order my first soy candle kit. I was just wondering if anyone had any general or specific tips about certain jars and about what type of jars to buy instead of blindly buying the wrong ones.

Each jar has its particular challenges. If you include aesthetics in the definition of "best" then what looks good to you carries a lot of weight. If you define best as what works most easily (which is a pretty good definition if you're just starting out), then pick a jar that is round with straight up and down sides, same thickness of glass in all parts, and less than 3 inches in diameter.

...then pick a jar that is round with straight up and down sides, same thickness of glass in all parts, and less than 3 inches in diameter.

Do you mean "straight up" as in a jar that it square with a round top? Or do you mean a perfect cylindrical jar?

Don't mean to be so technical, but just need it for clarification, thanks! :)

Do you mean "straight up" as in a jar that it square with a round top? Or do you mean a perfect cylindrical jar?

Don't mean to be so technical, but just need it for clarification, thanks! :)

Perfectly cylindrical for absolute maximum ease of wicking, but if the diameter is under 3 inches it wouldn't be a major complication if the jar was squarish. Having the same diameter from top to bottom would be helpful though.

No jar is perfect. Just giving you a few ideas for what would help keep it simple.

Perfectly cylindrical for absolute maximum ease of wicking, but if the diameter is under 3 inches it wouldn't be a major complication if the jar was squarish. Having the same diameter from top to bottom would be helpful though.

No jar is perfect. Just giving you a few ideas for what would help keep it simple.

Thank you for your helpful tips Top! I really appreicate it. :D

I am new to the candletech board, so Hello everyone! I bought some smooth sided 8 oz. jelly jars to use, and had some soy 125, but it seems that most people use ezsoy. I got the soy 125 because the supplier was close to me and I thought i would try it. I am thinking of using a rrd29 wick. Does that sound like a good place to start?

Karissa

Well - to answer the 1st question - I only use smooth sided jelly jars (circular - not square - Hex jars are the worst for pure soy - yikes! I couldnt get a melt pool when I first started years ago with those for anything..

I only use HTP wicks for my pure soy candles.. HTP105s is where I would start with an 8 oz jelly jar..

Heather

I am new to the candletech board, so Hello everyone! I bought some smooth sided 8 oz. jelly jars to use, and had some soy 125, but it seems that most people use ezsoy. I got the soy 125 because the supplier was close to me and I thought i would try it. I am thinking of using a rrd29 wick. Does that sound like a good place to start?

Karissa

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

If I may suggest, start a new thread of your own for your questions. You'll likely get much more response since more people will see it. Sorry I can't help with the soy 125 though.