throw good yesterday, not today

Terry

Hi,

Candle made 4627 in 8 oz mason jar, HTP-73, CS apple harvest, yellow liquid dye, cured 1 week. My nephew is burning in his apartment, yesterday burned for 5 hours, good throw, today nothing in same time frame. I wanted to know if anyone knows why this would happen? I have burned this in my home in a larger space and scent is very good. I have experienced this with soy wax in the past but did not think it could happen with paraffin. Any ideas why first burn would be good and second not so much? Thanks!

Has happened many times to me! I don't know if its the air flow in the house or the humidity level but I had the whole house fan on and COULD NOT smell it, then turned it off and COULD smell it. Not sure if it's candle nose or what I mentioned above....I had a customer return 2 of my best selling candles, said she couldn't smell them. I lit them (the exact candles that she 1/2 burned)and the scent went all through my house like crazy! Not sure what the heck causes it!

I think air ventilation is a huge factor. I gave my MIL several very strong melts last year at Christmas (they were all super strong in our house), and she told me only 1 had a strong scent, the others had little or no scent which surprised me. I purposely gave her ones that were extremely strong, but then I realized their home is older, and the air ventilation would be different than our home. I think it's a factor of where the melter or candle is placed, what room, temp, and air flow. I know others on the forum have indicated this as well. It's always a puzzle to me too!

I called my nephew tonight to see how my candle burned today. He said he burned it for an even shorter period of time and the scent came back. Even his 5 year old son commented how good it smelled when he came home from school! I simply asked him to be more aware of where he places the candle from now on taking into consideration of all of the above conditions. I know from personal experience if I am burning a candle in the kitchen and start cooking something strong like garlic/oil the candle scent just drowns out, also cologne/perfume seems to trump candle scent as well, at least temporarily, something else to think of! He asked if it could be a defective candle, I just laughed to myself, IMAGINE, trying to blame the candle maker, LOL!!....

Sometimes, if a candle is burning too hot, it will burn off all the fragrance in that particular layer. So, the first day it is awesome and the next day you can hardly smell. Then you burn again and it's back because it has burned down further into a new layer of wax. Does this make sense?

I've also noticed this when it is underwicked. The first day you can smell the candle and the next time you burn you can't smell a thing. I would guess this is because the flame is not eating the wax fast enough, so the melt pools fragrance is burned off before it gets down to fresh wax that still has fragrance.

This may just be my okie way of thinking. :-/

Airflow, high ceilings. The scent is there but sometimes it is not where you expect it to be. When we moved into our house a few years ago it took me a while to realize that the airflow was pushing the scent down into the hallway. I stated testing in a large room, with regular height ceiling and closed doors.