Blackish film on my candle

Hello everyone!

Newbie here!!! YAY

I have been lurking around for awhile and haven't had the need to ask any questions..You guys are VERY informative!!!

Question!?

I made some Lemongrass Pillars (still working on the wicking) and when I pulled them out they had a film around them...is this normal? How do I avoid it? fix it? They are seasoned and I haven't had this come up with any other candles I have made...

I am using eco PB soy wax and Lemongrass FO....

This was probably posted somewhere but my search has come up empty.

Any thoughts?

Silly question...have you cleaned your mold recently? Is it a new mold? Reason I ask is they can get rather dirty if left unused for awhile. Also sometimes new molds have a grease like substance on them from the factory and need to be cleaned before they are first used.

It is hard to see, but the only other thought I had was maybe something was/is in your wax?? I use Eco PB and have never had an issue like this :( I know sometimes there is debris in the wax (which is why I am switching to Presto Pots..so the debris falls to the bottom of the pot and doesn't get in the candle). Wish I had a definitive answer for you :(

I have this happen with new votive molds- I thought I cleaned them well enough but the votives came out with a blackish film that can be rubbed off- is it greasy feeling?

If so it is probably the coating they spray the molds with and rubbing alcohol with a good microfiber cloth will take all the residue off

Candy bee I don't use soap or water....I was always told use low heat in the oven and paper towel on a cookie sheet.

I am going to do some more testing over the week end and I will try both the alcohol and the mineral oil..one on each.

Thanks for the suggestions...THe lemongrass smell awesome I just hate that the color is yucky...

• 2 weeks later...

It popped up again! SO what I did was put the mold in the oven with the blackish wax and Pin and set it on the very lowest setting for 10 minutes then let it cool completely and did it twice more....I guess they needed some serious deeeeep cleaning. Hasn't come back yet!!

I will let everyone if it does.