This is why you want to use preservatives in your products

soapbuddy

No, 12% is enough. I know this firsthand from a renowned German chemist who has his own cosmetic company and who worked for a lot of big cosmetic companies. He can be entirely trusted about this. Never had the impression this ratio would be too drying but there will be people for whom 12% is too much.

This refers to ethanol/ethyl alcohol (at least 70%, better 90%) - I thought this was clear. This man is not "somebody" who does this on the same basis like most people here, he runs a reputable company. Not to say that your businesses aren't reputable but I don't exaggerate if I claim that he probably has more experience than most here. And yes, it will work for most formulations. Doubting Thomases....*lol*

But after all you have all the preservatives available. If you are looking for something that keeps your products fresh for, say, 5 years or so, then you really have upgrade.

Most people on this forum are hobbyists or small time crafters. They do not have the testing apparatus, equipment or a lab, where a product could be properly formulated or tested. Even big companies like Dr. H aushka mess up big time. I am a Licensed Esthetician. I have worked with this product and you know what? I opened a jar once of his and it had mold in it. I reported it, but I don't think anything ever came of it. So if it's a product just for yourself, feel free to experiment. If it's a product for sale, it should be tested and properly made under the most sanitary conditions possible.