Do you HAVE to put cp soap in oven?

*Dee*

I was just curious, we set up my workshop in the basement which does not have a 220 outlet for my stove. So I was wanting to know if you have to do that step for cp or not. Also has anyone used toaster ovens instead? Although not sure I will find a big enough one for some molds.

It all depends if you want you soap to go through the gel stage or not. The gel stage is not necessary for ones batter to turn into soap (it'll saponify just fine on its own without applying an outside source of heat to it), but applying a little bit of extra heat will get you there quicker. While an oven is probably the most convenient way to go to achieve gel, it's not the only way. Some people use heating pads under their molds and/or cover over their molds with towels or blankets, etc.. And I've heard of some that put their molds in a pre-warmed cooler and shut the lid to keep the heat in.

I don't gel any of my soaps. The oven method will insure that you get a complete and not a partial gel IMHO. You could probably build a box with a light bulb inside that would generate enough heat to keep the temperature level up over night but its pretty simple to just place the mold in your pre-heated oven and turn on the light and turn the oven off for an hour or so. My soaps are hard and fragrant without any gel whatsoever but the colors are more intense with a full gel IMHO. HTH

Steve

Hello! I use a heating mat and cover with some towels. My soap always wants to gel so I help it along to a full gel using the mat. I pre-heat my wooden mold with the mat then pour the soap batter in the mold. I then cover with a lid and some towels then leave the mat plugged in for a half hour. (For safety sake I also use a plugged in timer.) Depending upon your soap recipe you may need to cover very lightly, such as with milk based and some temperamental spicy and floral fragrance oils to prevent the batter from over heating. After turning off the mat I leave everything alone for about 16 hours or so. You would be surprised how long the heat holds for many hours. The result is a fully gelled and brightly colored soap. :smiley2:

I gel most of my soaps, and rarely use an oven. Sometimes I pre-heat a mold in the oven, but even that can be done without the oven itself - you can, for example, warm up one of those rice-filled heating bag in the microwave and pop it into the mold while you work. But mostly I just put my filled molds into a styrofoam cooler and leave it to gel. The reaction releases heat...

• 2 weeks later...