Are Palm Kernel Oil & Palm Kernel Flakes the same thing? Same results? Help!

Faithsoapandlove

Sorry if this question has already been answered, this is my first time on these forums.

I have a cold process soap recipe that is calling for 8 oz of Palm Kernel Oil, but I can't find much of that for sale, and some say the flakes work just as well (which I have). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and know the difference it will make on the final product?

Also, if it calls for 8 oz, how does that translate to flakes? Not sure how much to use...

Any help would be great! I'm very nervous about making a mistake, since this is my first experience with soap making.:embarasse

Thank you in advanced!!

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and know the difference it will make on the final product?

The final results have been similar IME.

Also, if it calls for 8 oz, how does that translate to flakes? Not sure how much to use...

You use exactly the same. 8 oz is by weight. Always by weight. Measuring in grams is more accurate than ounces.

Never measure by volume. Tiny volume mesaurement differences can, and often do, result in soap failures and inconsistencies. Even a seemingly tiny difference in a lye or oil measurement can leave you with lye heavy soap.

Hello! Both are mostly similar but according to SoapCalc the flakes have a much higher stearic acid content and a lower conditioning value which will change the reaction and quality of your soap. Whenever making substitutions of oils or fats always double check your recipe with SoapCalc. Small changes are greatly magnified when making larger batches which could make a lye heavy soap.

So far I have only been using PKO and not the flakes. In the winter when the temps drop it can be a bit of a pain to work with. It gets so hard I have to chisel off chunks of solid oil. But now I am used to it.

I might try the flakes from Columbus some day just to see if I like them better. But right now I really like the PKO and sub half of my CO with it for a milder yet still sudsy and hard bar of soap.

Palm kernel = palm kernel flakes. It is in flake form to make it easier to use, otherwise it is a solid block of solid oil. It's like buying shredded cheese instead of a block of cheese at the store. :)

Palm oil is different ,comes from the fruit and palm kernel comes from the kernel.