Well, now it is my turn. Big event-80% chance of rain!!

justajesuschick

I know JBN and others had this issue last weekend.

We had 0% chance of rain and a high of 75 degrees. It has been overly dry here. Now, 80% chance of rain.

This is a one day event so no opportunity to skip one day and come the next. Here is an aerial view of things being set up:

post-14519-139458513196_thumb.jpg

There will be 100 booths and they are nicely covered. My booth is the same spot as last year-on the center island, 5 booths to the right of the flagpole, facing the trees.

We have learned that we will meet in our theater at 8 in the morning and decide whether to call it or not. The tent company has allowed us to use the tents Sunday if tomorrow is a rain out.

Of course I have made a ton since we see 3,000-5,000 motivated buyers. My wax melts are the least of the worries. Since this event is exhibitors from our creative community, all products sold are handmade so many bring oil paintings, charcoal drawings, photography and things such as gorgeous turned wood bowls that would be ruined in the rain.

My corporation pays for the whole event. They provide the tents, tables, advertising and gives each exhibitor a boxed lunch and bottled water. They even include the tax form for us to complete in the packet they give us when we pull in to drop off our things at our booth before we go park. It is clean, very organized, everyone pitches in and helps each other (this is the spirit of our company in general) and it a nice gift to us.

So, I will either be loading up my car, driving and setting things up, or doing most of that, driving back home and doing it again Sunday. They are posting about the potential delay on the Facebook event page but either scenario makes me concerned that I am going to be loaded up with wax melts after the weekend. I KNOW how badly we need rain here so I am torn between knowing that and really wanting to sell some goodies!

Good luck- I hope it goes well for you and the others! Wish I was close by to stop over and browse. What a wonderful event for your employer to put together for all of you too- you are fortunate that they are so generous! Wishing you much success (and a little reduction or delay in the wet stuff!)

Best of luck to you! As for the rain - here is something to consider: My community had their yearly yard sale recently. It is a fairly large event. It poured buckets almost all day BUT the hardy shoppers were out in droves looking for treasures. The "lookie-loos" stayed home. So, those that really want to spend money should be at your event. You should do well!

I know JBN and others had this issue last weekend.

We had 0% chance of rain and a high of 75 degrees. It has been overly dry here. Now, 80% chance of rain.

This is a one day event so no opportunity to skip one day and come the next. Here is an aerial view of things being set up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26596[/ATTACH]

There will be 100 booths and they are nicely covered. My booth is the same spot as last year-on the center island, 5 booths to the right of the flagpole, facing the trees.

We have learned that we will meet in our theater at 8 in the morning and decide whether to call it or not. The tent company has allowed us to use the tents Sunday if tomorrow is a rain out.

Of course I have made a ton since we see 3,000-5,000 motivated buyers. My wax melts are the least of the worries. Since this event is exhibitors from our creative community, all products sold are handmade so many bring oil paintings, charcoal drawings, photography and things such as gorgeous turned wood bowls that would be ruined in the rain.

My corporation pays for the whole event. They provide the tents, tables, advertising and gives each exhibitor a boxed lunch and bottled water. They even include the tax form for us to complete in the packet they give us when we pull in to drop off our things at our booth before we go park. It is clean, very organized, everyone pitches in and helps each other (this is the spirit of our company in general) and it a nice gift to us.

So, I will either be loading up my car, driving and setting things up, or doing most of that, driving back home and doing it again Sunday. They are posting about the potential delay on the Facebook event page but either scenario makes me concerned that I am going to be loaded up with wax melts after the weekend. I KNOW how badly we need rain here so I am torn between knowing that and really wanting to sell some goodies!

We hope the weatherman is SO wrong!! Looks like an awesome venue!! Good Luck girl and hope you sell tons!!! Keep us posted! :)

First, I would like to thank you SO much for the well wishes. That was so thoughtful and kind!

The show went on. In the rain. People came but it was not the same. I still sold $325. Last year I sold $350. I took too much as usual but they are all my favorites and while my Facebook following is small, they understand the category and like to buy.

My top seller (I sold out) was Fresh Pear (Bartlett Pear from Peak) and I just had a couple of cups left of Pumpkin Butter (Pumpkin Apple Butter from NG) and Iced Pumpkin Cookie (Pumpkin Eggnog from NG).

I took too many apple choices. Some were sold down and some similar were not touched.

Speaking of touching, I remain confused that while I had testers of each scent in front of the bin it was in, people still reached in the bin to open another. A co-worker suggested different labels for the testers next year. I also remain perplexed that parents allowed kids to rush up, grab cups, sniff, pretend to eat them, etc. I worried about mixed up lids and cups.

I chuckled at the people who insisted that they could, in fact, smell the scent through the lid by smelling the label rather than my showing them how to tip the melt onto the lid to smell the actual melt.

I also explained what a melt wax was and "how they work" 100 times. The odd thing is that most times after explaining they told me that they had something like that and asked if these "were anything like Scentsy". These cups being different from clams was something difficult for people to grasp somehow.

I learned that shows are not for me. I will do this one each year I can as it is at no cost and the crowd is coming expecting to buy artwork and sculpture so a nice demographic. I will concede that the issue is me, not the customers. I am too type A/ocd and too much a germophobe.

I have been asked to participate in some other upcoming shows but I think I will decline-although I could go with the inventory that I have!

I sure wish my booth could have been set up better and that I could have interacted more with people but we were crowded into the booth to avoid the rain. I am grateful for how much I was able to sell. I was happy to get home, warm, dry and sit down. By this afternoon, everything was all neatly tuck back away.

Despite it all, it was a success. Thank you again for your nice posts. I sure appreciate it!!

Here are so pics of my VERY crammed in booth. Also all my product before loading my car. The wooden sign, hanging in front, had water pouring down it so I put my smaller signs in the back of my booth as the inserts are just heavy card stock. Normally I have cool crates that serve as "wing walls" that extend my booth on each side but due to the rain and wet pavement, EVERYTHING was crammed on 1, 8' table that was pressed against the back wall of the tent!

post-14519-139458513257_thumb.jpgpencil.png

post-14519-139458513237_thumb.jpg

post-14519-139458513241_thumb.jpg

post-14519-139458513244_thumb.jpg

post-14519-139458513248_thumb.jpg

post-14519-139458513251_thumb.jpg

post-14519-139458513254_thumb.jpg

Yes! It was cold, wet, windy and I tried my best to be chipper about it.

I am thrilled that I sold $325. I know that is nothing compared to what most people make at shows but since I paid nothing to participate, I am pleased.

I also already have orders from some people who stopped by earlier in the day, then left before coming back.

Yes! It was cold, wet, windy and I tried my best to be chipper about it.

I am thrilled that I sold $325. I know that is nothing compared to what most people make at shows but since I paid nothing to participate, I am pleased.

I also already have orders from some people who stopped by earlier in the day, then left before coming back.

Hey Girl,

You did pretty good for an ole rainy, cool day! Glad to hear that you got some wonderful orders too! Good for you! I love the baskets you put your product in and your product is labeled so nicely and I REALLY like your sign...so simple, rustic... ! :)

Edited by puma52

I know you are happy the event is behind you. Congratulations on your sales! With our economy still a little sluggish, your sales were good. Are you allowed to have a melt burning to demonstrate how they work? It will also demo how wonderful I'm sure they smell.